Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Woodworking Magazines

Blog Entries

Current Woodworking Magazines

I have two of them on my coffee table and there is nothing in either magazine that interests me.
    Am I the only one that feels this way?

I have old issues that I will read and still find interesting articles. I suppose the new generation of writers
    have different points of view.

Just curious.

I'm not renewing any subscriptions. They are all redundant. Getting info from the web.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    It is seldom one of the current woodworking magazines catches my interest.

If some inspiration is needed, rereading my old issues of Fine Woodworking from the late '70s and early '80s tends to be more in my tastes. There is a lot less machine work and more hand work. More real wood and less plywood and particle board.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Oh for the return of Megan and Fitzpatrick.

I would have to disagree. PWW def fits into this statement for me but the latest FWW catches my interest. In fact I have recently ran into Tim Manney at the Lie Nielsen Open House in Warren and talked a lot about the exact chair that's in the latest issue. I was super excited to see it in the most recent issue where he talks about the steps involved in making it. He did his best explaining his process at the event but without actually him being able to show the process it was very tough for him to describe. I absolutely adore his new chair design and in person his chair is absolutely stunning.

FWW doesn't always have the most amazing issues but you can tell they are putting so much more time and attention in then PWW. PWW is not worth the the paper it's printed on IMO. I will not be renewing this sub any time soon.

I stopped buying FWW at around 225, still have them from #1 (bought the first 80 or so off ebay) and prefer physical magazines vs CDs. I tried PWW for a couple of years and thought it quite good but not enough to renew. Now I glance through FWW at the library and that's it, usually the articles are very similar to something I already have in 1-225. The only new content are tests of the latest bandsaws or whatever, so there's no reason to buy anymore.

Blog Entries
    FWW doesn't always have the most amazing issues but you can tell they are putting so much more time and attention in then PWW. PWW is not worth the the paper it's printed on IMO.
    FWW is owned by a publisher with a vision of remaining a publisher or quality magazines.

My understanding is there were decisions at PWW by 'new management' to change the structure of the company. It may have been great in the short run for those holding the cash, not so great for those left holding an empty bag.

Many may remember this from earlier this year.

https://readwatchdo.com/2019/03/popu...or-bankruptcy/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I received an email from Fine Working magazine announcing special pricing of $20.00 for six issues. I subscribed and sent a gift subscription to fellow woodworker. Link; http://fm.e.taunton.com/ats/msg.aspx...&mid=855712784

I was a charter subscriber to FWW and still retain all of them (though I'm thinking about getting them electronically and ditching the paper).

There was a time when I was really interested in articles about how to cut a dovetail or a mortise and tenon (or whatever), but now I long since know six ways to do that and the reappearing articles on basics get fairly tedious, likewise the near-endless long pictorials in excruciating detail on exactly, step-by-step, how to build some relatively simple piece of furniture. However, the magazines need to keep publishing them because they will die if they don't get new interest and new subscribers, which means appealing to folks who are early in the learning curve.

i still subscribe because (FWW anyway) manages to keep enough content on design and on the why in addition to the how of woodworking to be of interest. The reader's gallery is by far my favorite section. I still aspire to have a piece of work published. I loved "Home Furniture" with its focus on design for its brief few months, but obviously I was in a small minority!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I was a charter subscriber to FWW and still retain all of them (though I'm thinking about getting them electronically and ditching the paper)...
    As a suggestion, don’t let your current subscription expire until you have confirmed that you can get the digital subscription at the price you want to pay. They now have reduced the available options for new subscribers, and I don’t think they offer the digital except in the unlimited plan for $99. They did grandfather active subscribers to keep what they had, and they may let you move your current subscription from print to digital at a good price

I have decided to keep mine coming, because I can't stand staring at a computer screen for a long period of time. Besides we can always relearn processes we have forgotten or haven't used in a while. It doesn't take very long to read the articles between the to many adds.
    Take care,
    Joe
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I bought a current copy of Fine Woodworking. It still leaves me cold.

I guess I am a cantankerous old man.

13. What i'd like to see more of in woodworking magazines generally are more articles interviewing woodworkers - professionals making a living in the fields of fine and/or custom furniture, lessons learnt, interesting experiences, their story, trials, challenges and triumphs. Some articles that look into really specific niche techniques and styles. Maybe some articles that look into amateur and professional shops / setups - because it's always fun looking at how others work. Maybe some articles looking at older, somewhat forgotten techniques and approaches. Etc etc. I agree that there is too much of the same basic skills, tool reviews, basic furniture builds etc.

Once you learn the basics more articles on basics are of ni value - but there are infinite stories and experiences of real people, always some niche technique that teaches something, numerous individual approaches to shop setups and tools people have and use etc. Just needs a better balance.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Cheers, Dom

FWW is the only magazine I take and I will continue to do so. I like having something made of good quality paper. I have cancelled the automotive mags, or more correctly have been cancelled by them due to termination of publishing(Bimmer). I was in the local Re-store” recently and looked at some early issues of FWW. Pages of classifieds and detailed ads. It is how we connected then. All gone today, but I continue with Taunton Press on this limited basis. For most of my life my day began with coffee and the New York Times, or Boston Globe, etc. Now, the coffee remains, but where is my iPad? Frequently I will leaf through an issue of FWW and shrug at the content. Oftentimes, possibly months later I will recall something and go digging for it. Sure, the digital would be quicker, but paper has an appeal.

The other magazine worth getting is Furniture and Cabinetmaker (UK). Also, have a look at Australian Wood Review.

Both tend to feature a wider style of furniture designs.

Regards from Vienna

Derek