Thread: Diamond cutoff blade.

Blog Entries

Diamond cutoff blade.

Thought I had just found the best thing since sliced bread. A Ridgid 4.5" diamond abrasive metal cutoff blade for my angle grinder. Under $14 at HD. Supposed to last equivalent to 100 standard abrasive blades, bringing the cost down to the equivalent of 14 cents each. Put a 1/2" x 1/2" bar into my vise and gave it a test cut. Cut maybe a little slower with less sparks. So far, so good. Maybe it was the way I was holding the tool, but it caught on the bar, pulling it out of my hands, hitting the floor while still running. Bent my brand new blade. No dice on trying to straighten it. Took it back for a full refund, disappointed. Maybe if the blade was a spring type steel, but it seemed to bend way too easy when I tried to straighten it. Would have been nice not to have the diameter start to shrink as soon as you start using it like a regular abrasive blade.
    NOW you tell me...

I've been using a Makita branded blade for several years now, through several major projects with no apparent loss in cutting ability. It cost about 4x what you paid. Perhaps you get what you pay for?

I haven't used the diamond metal cutting blades, but many of the masonry cutting ones. The cheaper they are, the shorter the time they last. I haven't been able to tell if one that costs double has double the life, but the cheapest ones don't seem to last long enough to bother with. They all cut fine for as long as they last, and all stop cutting the instant all the diamonds are used up.

I've had a Lennox for a couple years now. Cut many things, including a steel bath tub. Cuts quicker than abrasive disks. May because it only removes 1/8" of material. Paid less $20 for it, but they are cheaper now.

I got tired of the abrasive blades and the mess they make a couple years ago. Broke down and bought a Milwaukee porta-band. Cuts faster,cleaner and way more accurate. Of course the grinder still comes out for certain things but I try and avoid it as much as possible.

Harbor Freight sells the abrasive 4.5" wheels for cheap.
    Since I don't use my grander for all that much, I'm good with them-even though they wear down pretty fast.
    I've only had one shatter on me & it was 100% my fault.

I've been using a Makita branded blade for several years now,
    That however might tempt me.....I've become sort of a "Makita Freak" over the last couple of years....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Maybe I will give it another shot, this time with the Lennox available at Lowe's for about $14.
    NOW you tell me...