Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk Pine - Is it worthless or does it have any burl?

Norfolk Pine - Is it worthless or does it have any burl?

Before moving to HI, I had never even heard of Norfolk pine, now I am taking out several to put in something that looks better. Since they grow rather chaotically, I thought I would ask about it here. I know a couple turners and I am sure they would want some chunks if it isn't junk wood. Any experience with this stuff? Here's a bunch of pics.

20191212_153112.jpg 20191212_153202.jpg 20191212_153221.jpg

20191212_153550.jpg20191212_153329.jpg20191212_153557.jpg

Just use Google images to see how beautiful it can be. I guess you aren't a woodturner, because it is highly prized for turning.

That looks very different from what I know as a "Norfolk Island Pine". The Norfolk Island pine I know is very straight and has branches at regular intervals up the trunk. That is, there will be a section of trunk with no branches, then a section where a group of branches come out all around the tree, at the same height. The tree can get very large, as big as a normal pine.

I don't know anything about your Norfolk Pine - sorry.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, you might be on to something. I was told it was Norfolk Pine, but that doesn't make it true... Might have to investigate some more. I am only certain it is coniferous.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Viellenave View Post
    Mike, you might be on to something. I was told it was Norfolk Pine, but that doesn't make it true... Might have to investigate some more. I am only certain it is coniferous.
    Google "Norfolk Pine" and see with you get - especially images.

But no matter what the wood is called, the question is whether what you have will work for your project. From your pictures it looks like it might be good for turning.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

According to Google, it certainly isn't Norfolk Pine, nothing even looked like it. In any case, I just don't want to sentence any nice burls to their premature and lonely death at the hands of a giant chipper when I could make a turner real happy.

Post in the turning forum.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That looks very different from what I know as a "Norfolk Island Pine". The Norfolk Island pine I know is very straight and has branches at regular intervals up the trunk. That is, there will be a section of trunk with no branches, then a section where a group of branches come out all around the tree, at the same height. The tree can get very large, as big as a normal pine.
    Yep, your description is what I know as Norfolk Pine. I was recently in Hawaii and there were a lot of them there. Some were very tall, maybe as high as 150-200'. They were brought to the islands to be grown for ship masts.

They are popular for turning. The rings of branches make for figure that looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Yep, your description is what I know as Norfolk Pine. I was recently in Hawaii and there were a lot of them there. Some were very tall, maybe as high as 150-200'. They were brought to the islands to be grown for ship masts.

They are popular for turning. The rings of branches make for figure that looks very nice.
    Talk to your local County Extension Agent, maybe bring him a sample along with the pictures. They should know all the local stuff.

Are you sure that thing isn't an alien?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Are you sure that thing isn't an alien?
    If more than one person has spotted it, then it must be real. ("Oh, you saw it too?")

I always thought Norfolk Island Pine was from the Norfolk Islands. I had not really heard of them until Britain went to war over them. Where is Norfolk pine from..somewhere in England??
    Bil lD

I think Australia and,or, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think Australia and,or, New Zealand
    True Norfolk Island Pines are indeed native only to Norfolk Island, where they were discovered by Captain Cook in his 1772 -1775 voyage. There are several other close related species native to the islands in that part of the Pacific and Australia and New Zealand.

The are not pines botanically - although they are cone-bearing, their leaves are not needles like true pines. But they have a growth habit that is very much like the bigger pines - single, central trunk with radiating branches that give the tree an overall narrow, conical habit. They get very tall.

Whatever is in your backyard, it isn't Norfolk Island Pine. They don't resprout from removed limbs or trunks, so you can't get the kind of multi-trunk, gnarled mess you have.

Blog Entries
    that is absolutely not Norfolk pine. That is locally called ironwood. It is: https://wildlifeofhawaii.com/flowers...mmon-ironwood/

heavily and crudely pruned, looks
    like.

it is an “ironwood” so there is some value to it for turning handles or something. People on the big island like
    it for firewood.