Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone

Blog Entries

Cell Phone

Do you charge yours every night or do you let it run down and then charge it?

Just curious. Is it better to do one or the other?

Current generations of batteries used in these devices do not have "Memory" like the old ni-cads did, so you can keep them charged up. There is a limited number of full charge cycles, but it's a bit number and shouldn't be an issue for the typical life of a wireless phone. My phone goes on the charge pad every night.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I still use a "Startrek Commuticator" (flip phone) which I charge once a week. Wife charges her smart phone every day.

I charge my smartphone every night no matter what, plug it in every car ride, and in the shop. Also sometimes use a small portable battery to charge on the go if I need too.

This question was valid before flip phones were cool. Not anymore as Jim said.

Every night.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I remember the days when you could get a full days use out of a cell hone without recharging. No more. Charged every night at least, days with heavier use I need to top up in late afternoon as well. It would be fine with me to have a phone a millimeter thicker if I could depend on it lasting all day.

my 6 had to be charged every day but the 11 will go 2 or 3 days without charging.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I remember the days when you could get a full days use out of a cell hone without recharging. No more. Charged every night at least, days with heavier use I need to top up in late afternoon as well. It would be fine with me to have a phone a millimeter thicker if I could depend on it lasting all day.
    I have an Asus phone (Zenphone Max Plus) that will go several days between charges. However, I turn WiFi on only when I need it and don't have data on that one. If I leave the WiFi on by accident I can tell it by battery discharge rate.

I charge my phone nightly and I average 70% remaining. I have an iPhone 8 Plus. Lithium batteries do have a limit on how many full charge cycles they can do, but charging a phone that is at 50% to 100% is only considered half a charge cycle. I don't recall ever running out of battery since I started charging daily. I used to charge every other day and multiple times I got so low the second day I didn't want to use the phone anymore for fear of running out and missing an important call from work.

I seem to hear more complaints from Android phone users than from iPhone users about battery life, but that is no scientific research. My father had a Samsung Galaxy S4 until recently. He had battery problems almost from the day he got the phone with having to charge twice a day and he is not a heavy user. The S4 still had a replaceable battery and I bought him a new Anker brand battery about two years ago and it was only a few months before he couldn't go a full day again.

What's a cell phone???

My phone hangs on the wall like all phones are supposed to.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    My wife pays for my cell phone, that way she can contact me when she wants to.

We plug our Samsung S7s in every night before bed. Her battery lasts all day. I run a lot of stuff on mine, so lately I've had to use a backup battery some times.
    I'm contemplating an S10 soon.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My lead acid battery in my bag cell phone lasts 3 days. I do like that the handset cord doesn't get tangled as much now that it is a few years old

Blog Entries
    I charge my Samsung J3 every 2-3 days. The biggest battery drain are apps. Every app has some little piece running in the background that uses power. The more of them installed the worse it gets. I go through my phone regularly and turn them off, most especially notifications so the app isn't always checking for them.

My ZTE android phone has an 'ultra power save mode' that will make the battery last for at least 4 days. That shuts off the bluetooth, wifi, GPS and background apps. I generally leave it in that mode. I call it my electronic tether as my probation officer (aka SWMBO) says I need to have it with me.

If I use the phone for surfing the net the battery will fizzle out in less than a day.

I charge mine when needed.

The "do everything with a phone" is really annoying. My wife won tickets to see the Detroit Lions. In the old days she would have gotten paper tickets. Instead she had to load apps from three different sources to get the tickets, process the tickets and then display the tickets. Plus you have to be on-line at the time the ticket is displayed. This is to see the Lions. The Lions! She found out she won the tickets minutes after they had taken a shellacking by the Vikings!

It's not an improvement.

-Tom