Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting board

Maybe go out looking for the Stanley No. 51/52? For those that need such things.....

Jim,
    Derek, of course is correct, for best results use a skewed blade with flat boards and a straight blade with ramped boards. With your shoulder condition you might want to take a second look at the LV miter plane. With a 12* bed angle, hand and horn just behind the blade, vary low center of gravity, a weight of 5 pounds and can be used left or right handed make it an excellent shooting plane especially with a ramped board. The LV shooting plane is also excellent but in your situation you are faced with a right or left hand decision. I hope at some point you get a chance to test both side by side. Like you always say maybe someone living close by to you will let you try theirs, good luck.

I'm not meaning to hijack the thread. I have a question about the LV shooting board being used with a LV low angle jack plane. I'm thinking of buying the LV shooting board. I would be using the LV low angle jack with the shooting board. I'm wondering if this plane fits the track of the shooting board properly. At a later time I intend to purchase the LV shooting plane, but for now I'm wondering if the LV low angle jack will work nicely with the LV shooting board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Maybe go out looking for the Stanley No. 51/52? For those that need such things.....
    Anyone interested? There is a #51/52 currently listed on ebay. It can be yours for only $1900 plus shipping, such a deal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Anyone interested? There is a #51/52 currently listed on ebay. It can be yours for only $1900 plus shipping, such a deal.

jtk
    If you want a "user", Patrick Leach has one for $265 on his December list. No tote, a crack with a "perfect weld", and in his photo you can see something that sorta' looks like a plane under the rust. For a better copy, Jim Bode has one that looks pretty good for $495 right now. (And several for $1K+ with #52 Chute.)

Or maybe $350 for the Veritas model (almost) ready to use out of the box isn't such a bad deal...?

That's exactly how I justified buying the Veritas, and I ended up being pleased that the old Stanleys were overpriced.