Thread: Metal cutting tool

Metal cutting tool

I’ve made a few marking knives, scratch stock blades, and such from an old saw plate using a dremel and their cut off wheels. Works ok, but very slow. I see folks on YouTube using an angle grinder to cut metal quickly and seems to be the way to go. So, I’m thinking of getting one...might be useful for other things as well. Anyway, any recommendations on an angle grinder? I’m fine with corded (don’t really want to get into more batteries and chargers), and it will likely get relatively limited use. Appreciate any experience and suggestions.

Blog Entries
    My marking knives were made using a dremel:

Shop Made Knives.jpg

The few minutes it took to cut the plane blade for the top and bottom knives didn't seem that slow to me.

The one in the middle is made from a broken saw blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I’ve made a few marking knives, scratch stock blades, and such from an old saw plate using a dremel and their cut off wheels. Works ok, but very slow. I see folks on YouTube using an angle grinder to cut metal quickly and seems to be the way to go. So, I’m thinking of getting one...might be useful for other things as well. Anyway, any recommendations on an angle grinder? I’m fine with corded (don’t really want to get into more batteries and chargers), and it will likely get relatively limited use. Appreciate any experience and suggestions.

Lots of people buy Harbor Freight angle grinders and praise them. They are cheap. They may require an occasional trip back to HF to be replaced.

I go the other route - I like good tools. My angle grinders are name brands and I've been using a couple for over 20 years. I have five, mostly to keep from changing from cutting disks, grinding disks, and various wire brushes.

The thin metal cutting blades are fantastic. The thin diamond blades work well too but are expensive. Home Depot sells all kinds of disks but I generally buy from a welding supply place.

If you are cutting non-hardened metal such as mild steel, another option is a reciprocal saw. I use the Milwaukee "The Torch" blades for cutting steel.

If you find yourself doing a lot of metal cutting, consider a plasma cutter. That is by far the easiest method I have and the type of metal doesn't matter! A plasma cutter has no problem with straight lines, tight curves, etc. Mine will cut 1/2" steel cleanly. The only thing it needs to run is a 50 amp receptacle and a source of compressed air.

JKJ

I have two toolboxes full of 4-1/2" side grinders, and that says nothing of the larger, or smaller ones. I'm assuming you're talking about a 4-1/2" to start with. I think all major name brands are represented, as well as the 29.95 orange ones from Walmart, that are used as disposable ones when I don't want to subject a good one to abrasive dust, like cutting stone.

Long story short, the hardest to kill, and smoothest running one for the money is a Hitachi. I think it was 39.95 from Lowes. It ran all day every day, for a few weeks, and still runs as smoothly as when I took it out of the box.

HF currently has their 4 1/2" 0n sale for $9.99 (no 20% off allowed.) I bought one to replace a both a Dewalt and B&D Industrial that bit the dust, letting magic smoke out. Lennox (Lowes) sells a diamond blade for around $18, which will out cut and out last the same number of abrasive wheels which can be bought for the same money. Both the Dewalt, and B&D Industrial can be rebuilt under their no more than "50% of a new one policy."

Thanks all. I’m thinking 4.5”, but is there any huge advantage to the 7”? Is it easier to see what you’re doing? Obviously, I’ve never used one of these and my questions may be quite overthinking for what I’m planning to use it for. However, I may also like to try those wood carving disks on something at some point.

7" requires two hands, while 4-1/2 can be handled easily with one. Disks are also cheaper, and if you need to cut metal thicker than the 4-1/2 will cut, you need to be using something besides a side grinder anyway. edited to add: you need to use both hands with a 4-1/2" if using one of those carving wheels. No trouble seeing what you're doing with any size.

7" is actually kind of an odd size for a side grinder. I don't think I even own one. I do have multiple 4-1/2's, and 9" side grinders. A 15amp 9" side grinder is a beast, but makes quick work at wasting away metal. I don't use cutting wheels on a 9".
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-12-2019 at 9:42 PM.

Thanks Tom! 4.5” it is.

I bought a reconditioned 4.5 Bosch grinder from CPO Outlets for about 20 bucks years ago, and have used it quite a bit . Still going strong.

I owned the HF grinder and finally killed it. Upgraded to the 4-1/2" DeWalt (corded) one and it's pretty awesome. Still small enough to maneuver with one hand but cuts like a beast. Also use the Dremel quite a bit for metal cutting. You really need both. They're for different applications.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep