Thread: Sliding deadman workholding?

Sliding deadman workholding?

On my new bench I have a sliding deadman. Was wondering what others with that setup use for workholding. Holdfast? Veritas screw top holdfast thingamagig? Something else?

A holdfast can work, but mine tends to bottom out on the tool cabinet and tools on a shelf that I have located underneath the top and behind the deadman. I left sufficient vertical space for holdfast use on the top, but never thought of the deadman being used on the side. If I needed to use it more, I would look at that Vertias thingamajig. Meanwhile, I made a block with a couple of dowels in it that match the zig zag hole pattern in the deadman to use as a height-adjustable rest for long pieces clamped in the leg vise at the far end. So far, just resting my long pieces on the deadman block has worked. I did use a c-clamp to hold some pieces against the deadman before I came up with the block. I just tried to take a photo of the block, but the phone died. Sorry.
    David

I just use dowels to help resting longer pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Same here...sometimes just a dowel, but also the screw type holdfasts from LV.

Stanley also made those screw-type holdfasts, made to go in deadmans.....

I just use the bench's apron, the leg vise, and a c clamp....quick & easy.

I have a sliding deadman with holes in it on my Frid bench. I use a 1/2 bolt to rest the work on. I used to use a 1/2 dowel, but my not very bright Lab puppy kept chewing it up.

I use a sliding deadman and have a long slotted rest with a bolt through it for a clamp. I can slide the rest up/down and clamp in place at the height I need.

I had the same setup with the Veritas gizmos.

It was inevitably in the way.

I use turned pins for my deadman. Nicholson calls them side pins. A dowel will work, but I like turned pins for two reasons: first, I round over the ends so they are not so bad if I lean against them or bump them. Second I can adjust the fit.

One kind I use fits in the hole nicely at one end, then after a little taper is slightly too large for the hole. This kind can be pushed into the hole so it is solid. The other kind is tight at the very end so it can be pushed entirely into the hole, and be out of the way when not in use, but stored right where I need it.

Anyone still use a Crochet on the end of their bench? I use mine when the board is longer than the bench.

I use the crochet on a regular basis. The top of my crochet is set about 1/2” below the top of the bench and I rest narrow pieces on it when clamping in the leg vise...gives it extra support. I also use it to keep longer/wider pieces secure from slipping forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    On my new bench I have a sliding deadman. Was wondering what others with that setup use for workholding. Holdfast? Veritas screw top holdfast thingamagig? Something else?
    Tony, I have a combination - it all depends on what is needed.

If the sliding deadman is use as a rest for long boards, and they are not required to be secured, then some pegs are sufficient. The holes in the sliding deadman are 3/4”, and this allows for the use of either the Veritas Hold Down or Surface Clamp.

Regards from Perth

Derek