Thread: Grizzly G0891

Grizzly G0891

I recently bought a Grizzly G0891 (15" 3hp helical planer). It has fixed beds. Significant upgrade from my DeWalt 734.

One issue. Snipe. Both ends of the board are coming out with snipe at about the 2.5 inch mark. Anyone have thoughts on solutions? I was thinking about raising the tables very slightly. Any other thoughts?

You should be able to adjust the feed rollers, etc., to get your snipe down to next to nothing. Also be sure you are fully supporting the board as it goes in and as it comes out. On the outfeed side I am in the habit of having a tiny bit of upward pressure from my hand to insure that the weight of the board doesn't cause a dip when it clears the infeed side rollers but is still in the "cut zone". (Note...I use a different tool, but the concepts are the same)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My thoughts are some planers snipe some don’t. My pm 15 with a helical Head snipes.
    If my wood is flat from fresh from the jointer it snipes less.
    Ive spent several hours adjusting for the best results. I’ve learned to live with it.
    Remember our machines are built lite and flex when wood goes in and come out.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I own that planer. Adjusting the infeed/outfeed and rollers should remove most of it. You'll still get some if the board isn't perfectly flat on the bottom side. I only get a little on short boards < 2' long or so. Longer boards are no issue. I think the short boards get manhandled by the power feed causing the board to rock on the rollers. I can prevent this by putting a longish flat board under the shorts and put them through together.

My Dewalt makes no snipe on mid length boards. For long boards especially thick stock the overhanging weight kicks the board up into the cutter head when the end passes the inbound roller. I guess it compresses or flexes the outbound roller. Similar happens on the start of a pass. This starts to be a problem with 6/4 stock over 3 ft long, or 3/8" stock over 6 ft long. Just depends on the cantilever moment. I could set up extended support but my shop is small and doesn't need any more stuff. It's easy enough to lift by hand to carry the weight. A little practice and no more problems. Quicker than setting up temporary support too.