Thread: Suggestions for a low angle block plane

Suggestions for a low angle block plane

Hello,

I want to add a low angle block plane to my workshop and would like to ask your opinions.

I'm considering a Millers Falls 46, 47, 56 or 57, or a (seemingly NOS) Record Marples 060 1/2.

I'm not inclined to get Stanley planes since they usually are more expensive.

What do you think?

Rafael

I like old Record planes equally as well as old Stanleys. I use planes a lot, and get paid to do it. I have many planes, in all categories, but not many newer ones. None of those planes have ever been in my hands, but I'm sure I would be comfortable using the Record.

I’ll second Tom’s opinion. I haven’t used Millers Falls planes, but have found the Record planes to be just as good as Stanley...sometimes better in certain tools.

I've bought 60 1/2s on ebay for under $30 in good condition. Never buy one unless the photos show the mouth without defects and an assurance from the seller that the iron is either original or works with the advancement mechanism. Also be sure the sides are fully intact. These things get dropped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Hello,

I want to add a low angle block plane to my workshop and would like to ask your opinions.

I'm considering a Millers Falls 46, 47, 56 or 57, or a (seemingly NOS) Record Marples 060 1/2.

I'm not inclined to get Stanley planes since they usually are more expensive.

What do you think?

Rafael

Blog Entries
    My luck has alway been against me on ebay. My maximum bid was always out done by others. My intention was to purchase an earlier model. My first #60 type was an English made model bought at an OSH store about 40 years ago. It is now in my grandson's kit. My second one was bought on ebay, a cordovan colored model that seems to be a fine user. After giving up on ebay for an older model with a full blade ramp behind the mouth, an LN version was purchased. This is a fine plane with a much nicer action. It is hard to explain how it feels different, but it is much smoother at its job.

One problem for me is the weight of the LN plane. My right hand suffers from an injury incurred way back in 1959. It can cause problems trying to grip some block planes.

Then earlier this year a friend was with me rust hunting at one of my favorite antique malls in St. Helens, OR. He handed me a Stanley #60-1/2. He said he wasn't interested in it. So for $25 it was mine:

Stanley #60-1:2.jpg

It is kind of hard to see the SW on the blade:

SW on Blade.jpg

A little clean up and work on the sole and this has become my favorite block plane.

Of course, most people aren't willing to wait a decade or more to get one at their price.

The later Stanley models can be good planes. The Millers Falls, Record and Sargent planes would also likely be good users. My experience is all with the Stanley and LN models.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hmmm..
    IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpgIMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg

No. 1455 Low angle, non-adjustable mouth block plane....
    block plane row.jpg
    My Users....

IF you look closely...you'll see the #118 Low Angle plane..25 degree?..Shelton is the brand on mine. Stanley also made their version. All steel, this has bounced off my shop floor, once or twice, no ill-effects.

2nd from left....Stanley No. 9-1/2, Type 2. There is also that knuckle cap 9-1/2. Far left is a Stanley 9-1/4.

I let the Record Marples go, it looked new, I couldn't tell from the pictures if it was one from the contemporary or new old stock. Not worth it to guess. I missed a MF 57 yesterday, no one bid on it, it would have been a good deal.

A few Millers Falls are coming up in a few days, I'll wait and see.

Thank you for the comments.