Thread: Plane Recommendation

Plane Recommendation

I want a T&G plane, a user. I want to be able to plane 3/4-7/8 inch for larger panels when gluing isn’t really necessary. I’m thinking a refurbished Stanley 48 or equiv is all I need, but something keeps suggesting an old 45 and refurbish, but honestly, I think a 45 would just complicate the outcome.
    Having never used a combination plane and preferring to keep costs <$200 which direction would you suggest?

Don

For doing that one job it’s hard to beat the Stanley 48. The 45 is definitely more versatile but takes setup to do the particular task at hand. For an idea on that in a modern version check out the article on Derek’s in the Woodshop dot com about using the Veritas small plow in T&G mode. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...SmallPlow.html
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 12-14-2019 at 8:55 AM.

Tractor Fest 2019, Match planes.JPG
    $30 each..Match planes....one for the groove, the other for the tongue....

Or

Buy the #48.

With the #45.....you need to set up the plane for either the tongue, OR the groove cutter. Or, have 2 planes set up, waiting to go...

I have the veritas plow plane and Stanley 50. Both provides equal results but the veritas is slightly easier to use.

Don,
    Why don't you check out Patrick's Blood & Gore description of the #48 & #45. Then for fun check out his description of the successor to the #45, the #55.
    http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

I don't own a #48 or #45 but I do own a #55 ( I inherited it) and I can tell you first hand that no one ever described a particular handplane better.

-Chuck

I like T&G joinery when it is applicable and use it whenever I can. I used a Stanley #45 combination plane for my T&G work for several years before purchasing a LN T&G plane (for 1/2" material) a year or two ago. The #45 combination plane worked OK, but the LN plane (a purpose built plane) works much better and is (of course) so much easier to setup and use. I intend no knock against the #45 combo plane at all, but the LN plane is hands down better at that task. If I did more T&G work in thicker material, I would very much look into purchasing the thicker material version of the LN plane.
    David

Ok..
    IMG_5551 (640x480).jpg
    Tongue cutters....then you match a straight (groove) cutter to one of these..
    tongue.jpg
    Hardest part is to center the tongue. Cutters have their own depth stops. Fence is set below the cutter. Sliding skate is set to support the cutter, and ride on the board, doesn't do any good hanging out in mid-air.
    match cutter.JPG
    Then reset to plough a groove that will fit into the tongue..
    plough plane.JPG
    On the narrow 3/16" cutter, you can get by without the sliding skate.....1/4" you can use the skate.
    tongue.JPG
    So...you've cut the tongue...and milled a groove..
    groove.JPG
    T&G isn't always for flatwork stuff..
    stacked up.JPG
    Can be a very good corner joint....and helps keep the corners aligned...
    stacked panels.jpg
    Along with the flatwork stuff..

Blog Entries
    Almost all of my tongue and groove work has been done using the Stanley #45. Recently a #48 was purchased but hasn't done more than a few test cuts.

A #48 will definitely be easer to set up out of the box. A #45 with a set of blades will be much more versatile.

One aspect of the #45 on T&G joinery is the ability to run a bead at the junction of the two boards. This helps to hide any misalignment along the joint. There is almost always some misalignment whether it is caused by a slight bow in a piece or wood movement due to atmospherics.

The #45 is also able to work a much wider range of wood without the limitations of the #48 & #49 planes.

Here is an old post on Speciality Planes > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?121761 < Post #11 is on the Stanley #45 and shows cutting some tongue & groove joinery.

The #45 is not a simple plane for one to master. It takes a bit of persistence and paying attention to blade sharpness and the wood's grain in order to produce good results.

As far as the #55 goes, my suggestion is to first build some skill on a simpler combination plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

9. I'd get a LN 48 or Stanley 48 if you can find a good one and if they work as well as the LN. That's if you plan to do a fair bit of T&G. Otherwise a Veritas small plow plane is a sweet little plane that can do T&G as well as being very handy for grooves for box / drawer bottoms etc - but it requires setup time vs a 48 which is always ready to go and takes no time to switch between cutting tongues and cutting grooves.

Cheers, Dom

Is this a process you will repeat? If it's a one-off it can be accomplished with a side rabbet and plow plane (or chisel).

If you're likely to do many of these, get the most current production available - those will arrive ready to use and set up to the tightest tolerances. LN irons will be ready, out of the box.

If it's a LN, it also holds resale value in the event you discontinue the practice.

Thx for all the replies guys, your recommendations have helped. I reviewed all referenced links, sites, and prior posts. I think at this time I shall resist the temptation of the more complex combination planes and focus on a 48.
    I doubt Santa will have time to wrap a new LN 48, but it appears that is my direction unless an excellent user surfaces soon. Again, I appreciate your responses.

don