Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of lower DC bag

Getting rid of lower DC bag

So... I've got a Delta 50-760 single stage DC, with a 4" SDD + fiber drum tucked in the cart under the motor, running flex hose to the tools that need it one at a time. Not fancy, but it works.

The small fiber drum works well enough, except when I fire up the DW 735 planer. That thing fills it up pretty quick. Once it gets past 3/4 full, I start getting some stuff over into the filter and bag. Cleaning the drum isn't so bad... but I will admit, I'm not a fan of cleaning out that bag. It's the style with a padded ring that flexes into place in a groove on the underside of the housing, beneath the filter.

I'm considering a few options... one, just cutting the bag so it's much, much shorter. Less of it to wrestle with, but still kind of a PITA. The other... I'm probably going to put a Wynn cannister filter on it early next year (been meaning to for a while). Kinda thinking I might plug the top opening like I've seen some others do, put the cannister on the bottom and make some sort of clean-out box to fit underneath the filter.

Is there any particular reason I'd *need* the bag, given that there is a cyclone separator turning it into a 2-stage and catching 99% of the crud in the first place?

I have a similar DC that I only use as a roll-about for convenience as my main DC is an Oneida (and I don't have a separator on my Delta). I threw away the top bag, as they are completely useless at collecting fine dust which is the dangerous stuff. I replaced the top bag with a Wynn canister. I still have to clean the fine dust out of the Wynn canister now and then, but that's better than having the fine dust float all over the shop. The bottom bag is a disposable clear plastic bag that collects the larger chips, which I reuse as much as possible.

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

To be clear, you are planning to put an open-ended Wynn filter where your drum is now, directing all the shavings, chips and dust through the filter and having the drum/clean out box under the filter?

If so, I would suggest that having all the chips and shavings run through the filter will clog it up tight in no time. The filter is made to filter out fine dust and allow the air to pass through it. It's not made to handle chips and shavings.

That said, I am confused by your reference to a cyclone separator. Where in your system do you have that? Nothing you are doing do the Delta makes it a cyclone separator, so I'm lost.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have that DC with a SDD, wynn filter and a 35gal barrel. I like keeping the plastic bag short and on the bottom. If I ever see anything floating around in the bag I know its time to empty the barrel.

IMG_01234.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I have that DC with a SDD, wynn filter and a 35gal barrel. I like keeping the plastic bag short and on the bottom. If I ever see anything floating around in the bag I know its time to empty the barrel.

IMG_01234.jpg
    That is a nice setup. Is the support frame commercially available or did you make it? Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    That is a nice setup. Is the support frame commercially available or did you make it? Thanks
    Most of it came with DC. I just flipped over the top part with the motor, removed the wheels, and added the black steel bars to get some added height so the SDD and barrel would fit. I think I got the bars from mcmaster.

Monte,

I saw a photo of Derek Cohen's shop that hit me with a 'why didn't I think of that' moment. Cut the bottom of the bottom bag off and clamp a short barrel like the Oneida 17 gallon. Then when you need to empty it you're dealing with just the barrel. Much easier unclamping and clamping the barrel than wrestling with the bag, especially when putting it back on. Stick a cannister filter on the top and you're set.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

When using 735, have you thought about adding Thien Baffle ahead of DC? My cyclone is in back of shop, but I use planer (15") and jointer on concrete slab in front of shop.. Use "Top Hat" Thien baffle on a 30 gallon metal trash can to save having to haul shavings from back corner of shop to front. Catch them where they are generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    When using 735, have you thought about adding Thien Baffle ahead of DC?
    What would that accomplish, besides reducing the overall system performance? My current system looks (conceptually) like Mark Carlson's as shown above - granted, filter bag instead of cannister, smaller SDD / barrel and bigger plastic bag, but functionally similar. Why would I add a Thien in front of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Mark,

Very nice! What I was thinking about was essentially flanging off the top hole, and putting the cannister on the bottom side, something like this (picture 'borrowed' from another forum):

G7ugiRi.jpg

...but with a clean-out box, bag, something under the filter. Assuming there is enough room in the cart for both the SDD + fiber drum, plus the cannister...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Monte,

I saw a photo of Derek Cohen's shop that hit me with a 'why didn't I think of that' moment. Cut the bottom of the bottom bag off and clamp a short barrel like the Oneida 17 gallon. Then when you need to empty it you're dealing with just the barrel. Much easier unclamping and clamping the barrel than wrestling with the bag, especially when putting it back on. Stick a cannister filter on the top and you're set.
    Interesting! I'll have to see if I can find a picture of Derek's setup (found it!) Anything that makes cleaning easier would be nice!

Though the thought process I was having - might be AFU, who knows - was that if everything is *supposed* to be getting caught in the cyclone and it's drum, and only a tiny amount is carrying over thru to the filter and it's bag, to the point that the main purpose of the clear bag is so that you can see when the drum is getting full-ish and needs emptied... why bother with a drum/barrel under the filter at all?
    Last edited by Monte Milanuk; 12-12-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Another idea that I think will help. I have a dust collector that used the same ring thing. I replaced it with a clamp that goes outside the dc housing.

When replacing the bag it goes outside the housing, held up in place by magnets, then the clamp snaps in place. Much easier & I reuse the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    What would that accomplish, besides reducing the overall system performance? My current system looks (conceptually) like Mark Carlson's as shown above - granted, filter bag instead of cannister, smaller SDD / barrel and bigger plastic bag, but functionally similar. Why would I add a Thien in front of that?
    Cyclone is in rear corner of shop. By catching chips where they are generated, I save having to both change cans and dragging full can to front of shop for disposal. Often times, I will generate more than one can of chips.

Seems like the loss of airflow from having both in line would suck... or not 😉🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    Another idea that I think will help. I have a dust collector that used the same ring thing. I replaced it with a clamp that goes outside the dc housing.

When replacing the bag it goes outside the housing, held up in place by magnets, then the clamp snaps in place. Much easier & I reuse the bag.
    Interesting idea Frank! Would you mind posting a few pictures of that setup?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher