Thread: SCM Minimax FS35 parts?

SCM Minimax FS35 parts?

Hi All,

I'm new to this group in SM Creek. I've spent most of my time in the Milling/Kiln Drying forum. I have a older SCM FS35 combo J/P. I think the switch has gone bad as it won't start. It wants to but trips immediately when on switch is pressed. I have a manual but don't see any part list for the electronics. Any suggestions on where to get a more comprehensive manual &/or parts would be appreciated.

David M.
    Milwaukie Hardwoods, LLC

Hey David,

You should be able to find what you need here...

https://www.scmgroupspareparts.com/en/

I've ordered several replacement parts for my 2006 FS41E through the site. Takes a bit of back and forth to setup an account, but its pretty fast. Just keep an eye on the shipping price, as it has, at times, been higher than the cost of part.

The switches on a lot of older Minmax machines seemed to fail pretty early; had on my 198x FS35 when I bought it used about 4 years ago. The switch on it when I got it was an Allen Bradley that has an adjustable amp limit. The owner had bought it from the Minimax dealer he bought the machine from, so it appears MM was not supplying OE switches as replacements way back when. Curiously, the amp limit on the AB switch had a range of 10 - 16 amps and it would trip out whenever the motor pulled a good load. The motor plate on mine says it has a fully loaded amp rating of something like 16.5 amps (I'm guessing but it's something above 16 amps). I bought a new AB starter just like the old one but with an adjustable amp rating of 16 to 20 amps, set it at the FLA rating, and have never had a problem since.

But the first thing I would do is make sure the cutterhead can turn freely because maybe something is jambed and that's what's tripping the overload. You might also have a bad start capacitor on the motor. I had both the start and run capacitors go bad on mine, but well after the starting switch incident.

There used to be a Minimax group on Yahoo, but don't know where they are now. Someone else might be able to help you with that. Good luck. Great machine, I hope you get it resolved quickly.

John

Like Cory said email SCM, they emailed me a full manual

I had an FS350 (i think it's older than the fs35?) for about 30 years, the switch had the same behavior last year I took it apart and cleaned it - all good now (well I sold it...)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by David Mealey View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to this group in SM Creek. I've spent most of my time in the Milling/Kiln Drying forum. I have a older SCM FS35 combo J/P. I think the switch has gone bad as it won't start. It wants to but trips immediately when on switch is pressed. I have a manual but don't see any part list for the electronics. Any suggestions on where to get a more comprehensive manual &/or parts would be appreciated.

David M.
    Milwaukie Hardwoods, LLC