Thread: Diagnosing the power supply

Diagnosing the power supply

Hi there, new guy here. I've used a "60 watt" Chinese laser for almost 2 years, and love it. But last weekend it stopped cutting. I just replaced the tube, and the same exact symptoms result. I'll list what's working and what's not, in the hopes that someone here will be to identify which component (other than the tube) has failed.

What's working:
    - Tube should be (brand new)
    - All mirrors aligned
    - Beam is bright, and gets all the way to the material
    - Motors / programming all function normally
    - Pressing the Test switch on the power supply causes the green and red LED's to shine brightly
    - Pulsing the laser and operating it via program has the beam shining brightly (visually appears normal)
    - I've tried this with various power settings, and no difference
    - Ammeter remains at 24mA (where I've always tried to keep it at or under) when laser is on

What's not working:
    - Other than cutting the backing paper on the plex, and engraving the plex lightly, nothing is being cut
    - Even at 3mm/sec and 10 passes, the acrylic isn't being cut
    - I've tried this with various power settings, and no difference
    - Pressing the Test switch on the power supply does NOT cause the laser to pulse (not sure if that is supposed to happen or not)
    - Looking at the tube itself when the laser is on, the reflection / spot in mirror #1 oscillates from bright to very dim (should be constant, right?)

Does that sound like a power supply problem? I ordered a new power supply last night. But from the evidence, should I be looking to also replace something else?

Thanks for any tips,
    Cliff

Did you check your lens. With out the lens in is the beam coming out of the tube in the center and not hitting the side

Just happened to me. I had to replace the ps. You could check the fuse in ps

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Just happened to me. I had to replace the ps. You could check the fuse in ps
    He says that it just burns the mask and is outputting 24MA so it has to be something in the line of the beam

Where did you purchase the tube? If its drawing 24 mA its being switched on, will it burn a spot on the center of masking tape on the first mirror?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I didn't have my box checked to get emails, so just came back and saw your replies, sorry about that.

The beam is getting to the material as usual, but just not cutting. I've checked and cleaned the lens, aligned the mirrors, and the beam burns a hole in the target paper at all positions. The tube was original with the machine (KH), and the new tube, which is behaving the same as the old, is Ten-High.

The beam does fluctuate in intensity, and a rep from Cloudray thought it was the power supply. So I ordered that, hopefully that's the solution.

I suppose it's not the main controller (??), because everything else is working normally.

Thanks again,
    Cliff