Thread: Powwermatic Machinery Gold Paint for 82-03 MY's?

Powwermatic Machinery Gold Paint for 82-03 MY's?

I just got done reading what google offered from here-in, OWWM.com and a couple other places like FW magazine forum.
    Not one of those other threads covers the paint formula, so on, 1987 gold M66 table saw I just brought home.
    Just saying don't waste your time re-hashing them for my purpose as none have a source or paint formula for my specific model year.
    I prefer not to pay $25 a rattle can from Powermatic customer service, plus it seems they sell one gold can now but used several golds over the years so it's wrong for my saw. I am well aware of auto body paint suppliers paint matching on vehicles as I used to sideline in re-building wrecked cars and did my own paintwork for years. I much prefer a better paint than regular rattle can paint and shoot it myself.
    In the end I want to repaint my cabinet even though it's mostly decent looking saw. Call it a 15-20 foot saw paint wise? Up close it is like me, aged.
    IDEAS of INFORMATION???
    Thanks!

It’s kind of hard to understand what you’re asking.
    Here’s the VM link which it sounds like you’re aware of, but just in case.
    http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Pai...owermatic.ashx

Is there any way you can take a paint chip or a small painted part to a paint store for color matching?

I just spoke to a local Home Depot paint dept and was told they “might” be able to do a color match if you take a picture and print it out then take the printed photo to the store.
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 12-10-2019 at 12:34 PM.

The chances of a camera capturing the correct color and then the printer again printing the right color are pretty small.

OP, if you want close to period correct, I linked that to you. Or, pick whatever color suits your fancy, that’s what I do.

Since most of my large tools are PM, I had fun and paint knee walls and columns in PM gold. Yes Home depot can color match. I think I took in the lathe wrench with me and they nailed the color.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nel-Saws/page2

Look at right side of third photo in this thread. It matches much better than the photo shows.
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 12-10-2019 at 3:15 PM.

Well your not the first that research this old problem.I decided not to dwell on that problem for my PM87.So I just order a can of the Hammer Gold and after couple weeks it grew on me and now I like it lot better than spending more time on trying to match.Post some pics of your work,love to follow along.

I did an extensive search on this a few years ago, as I wanted to repaint my '87 PM100.
    I never did repaint the old girl, but of all the suggestions I found this seemed the most promising:

(And was backed up by several other posters agreeing)

Rustoleum Metallic - “Metallic Gold”

quote: "This is EXACTLY the same color and look. It literally disappears into the old paint."

I did use it for a few painting frames I made for Mom, and it looked about as identical to my particular planer as one could hope for.

You can buy it in non-spray cans, & so thin it & spray it yourself, if you want.
    I would certainly give it a try.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 12-10-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    It’s kind of hard to understand what you’re asking.
    Here’s the VM link which it sounds like you’re aware of, but just in case.
    http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Pai...owermatic.ashx
    Thanks but as I said , it leads to the wrong paint. Your link does ad some degree of understanding for others simply reading this here.

Matt, what did I say that's confusing? I am after a paint that is typical of saws after the green ones and before those that the link you provided shows a formula for in Sherwin-Williams paints.

The chart in the link is my reference point, in fact as it says the 1982-1993 saws is where my 1987 version comes in with " Metallic Gold 1", as the paint PM used not the 77 Cadillac version.

Allan & Carroll, I think your comments are worth looking at further. I'll say on the painting thing that I am actually very experienced with auto paint repairs and know paint matching well. Also I'm not gonna be anal about this saw but would like to see it with some more glitz. Auto paints are most all base coat clear coat these days, not enamels as I suppose machinery all uses. When I was an industrial millwright mechanic our machinery and much more-it all got the same sicko pale green from the paint guys, a separate union skilled craft there. I can see it in my sleep, well sort of...
    Next time I'm in town I'm gonna look in box stores for a hammered gold rattle can but much prefer the more durable self sprayed paints as they hold up better to hard use by far. Honestly my saw has aged but decent paint on the lower cabinet, it's the touch surfaces on edge of the cast iron that show wear. My main focus after I get it off loaded and into some heat will be to check alignments and lube it and clean up the top plus begin to replace the Biesemeyer fence faces with either UHMW or HDPE-another thread question I've posted. Looked at plastic sources today over my early coffee.
    There's a business in Bonita Springs, FL- Reardon's Machinery, who has a website showing some Powermatic machines they've repainted. I wrote down the number for Kevin Reardon but after looking at their pics I see they simply use a metallic gold, not the hammered look gold of my 1987 saw. That gold would be available widely and no reason to bother him.

Further web searches show me a couple of possibles: Rustoleum has box store paint- "Hammered" in "Gold Rush" and Benjamin Moore has one called "Molten Metal" too, both sold as bulk paint.
    Next time I get out of the woods I'll take the door off the saw cabinet with me. If I get close on a paint choice I'll post back in this thread.
    As to pics, I think I'd need to pay the money before I'm allowed.

It’s just a bit hard to follow your train of thought to get to the question.

Yes, you’d have to pay $6 to post pictures. But surely you’re getting at least that value here aren’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Is there any way you can take a paint chip or a small painted part to a paint store for color matching?
    That's what I did. I took the belt shroud from my 1998 PM 64A table saw to the local hardware store, they used their optical paint color scanner, and they nailed the bile green color almost perfectly. It's so close that even if you use it as touch-up paint, you can barely distinguish the difference.

FWIW, the brand and model of paint they used was "X-O Rust Interior/Exterior Oil Base Direct-to-Metal Enamel."
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 12-11-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Anything PM kinda gets me excited,so I went to see what I use and finally found it.I guess its not close but I finally settle for this color,so for me it works.Just another choice to give ya thats all.Sorry for the pics being sideways
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so today I grabbed that can of Rustoleum from my "art supplies" shelf, and sprayed a little on the inside of my planer's motor area. And now it's ME saying this:

"It literally disappears into the old paint!" I mean LITERALLY.

YMMV. Again, my machine is from 1987.

Fantastic Allen that is good information to have.Going to stock myself a can

Matt, I'm not complaining about $6 and I feel no need to continue to justify my comments? For the record I am also not a "persnickety guy"-> AT ALL!
    The PM color thing is confusing! I took off the saws dust door Wed. and took it to a Lowe's store. They mix Valspar(owned by Sherwin-Williams) in oil based QT's and I picked a color their camera/computer setup led to. He even adjusted the color with a 2nd camer to the puter. Then I learned that Lowe's paint formula has no metallic in it! What the kid mixed looked like baby poop in oil based enamel. The paint on the dust door is not UV faded.
    I wasn't committed to buy it so I moved on to rattle cans for a look see. None of the Rustoleum golds, based on plastic cap colors were close except the "Hammered gold" which of course has the special effect in the paint, not seen on the saws original paint, which is simple, basic gold metallic.
    Based on serial number and fact my saws never been painted it seems to me more likely that the 77 Cadillac paint would be correct but that's said w/o me seeing a paint chip either. My next step is my old auto body paint supplier to look at paint chip books unless a buddy has some in his AB shop that works colorwise?
    Allan-The cans I viewed didn't look even close but I brought some home to play with anyway.