Thread: Porter Cable 75182 Type 1 vs. Type 3?

Porter Cable 75182 Type 1 vs. Type 3?

I can't seem to find a type study on the PC 75182 variable speed 3-1/4 HP router motor. I see a "Type 1" Made in USA available, used of course (year unknown). The new ones seem to be Type 3, made in Mexico. Anyone here know the difference? From what I'm reading online, the new ones don't measure up to the older ones –– motors failing, etc.

My two PC routers are both 690s: one is also called a "Type 1" made in USA from 2002, the other is a "Type 8" made in Mexico from 2018. The older one has been in my table for 15+ years, and the newer one sits in a plunge base and has received very light use so far. The old one is variable speed; the new one single speed.

Is there a real difference in quality between the old and the new? I wish there was an organized type study like we see with Stanley hand planes and the like.

Bob some say there is a difference. Myself I have have 4 ,690s all mexico vintage and no issues. I am a full time carpenter and we have one of the 690s in my tool trailer it gets used and abused by employees ,we use it to cut out window and door openings as well as when building stairs on a router wing on my table saw. This router is about 12 years old and going strong.I also have a 7539 3 hp plunge that is made in US. I do not think the American made ones are any better than the Mexican ones.YMMV.