Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euro Beech table

That's very nice! I like the "apparent" simplicity and subtle details - the joinery, the taper to the legs, the edge on the table top, the single carving. If this is still practice, I can't wait to see what you put in the Show!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It's beautiful and I applaud your process. The carving is perfect.

Take this for what it's worth, but my novice eye wants this to be even more delicate, by doing 2 things: thinning the top to 5/8", and tapering the legs to 3/4" or 7/8". I also think there is an opportunity to do something with the joint between the shelf and the apron by inlaying a contrast. These are unsolicited musings; you have obviously given this way more thought than I have in 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Thanks Johnny, that exactly what I am trying to convey. So this is the 4th version the first had too much taper too much splay.
    Ooo... I see the opportunity for some comparison photos!

I'm also in the "love the leg/shelf transition" camp.

Is the interior panel of the shelf proud of the shelf frame, or is that an illusion from the surrounding groove?

Matt

This table is elegant and well crafted. I just looked at your photos again and noticed that he shelf has the corners cut at 45* to the edges. The transitions from the leg meet that angle which makes me wonder if that entire area of the legs is shaped by hand. The joints I can see are superb!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks Dave the sculpting work was done using carving gouges,files,goose neck scraper.
    The joint were the shelf meets the leg is actually about a 1/4 inch away from the leg. There’s a domino in there.
    Beech is very satisfying to work with because tools stay sharp a long time.
    I use very little sandpaper in my work mostly in the finishing part.
    Thanks again
    Aj