Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro Beech table

Euro Beech table

Hi everyone this is my fourth version of this modern danish style table. I’m very close to my final version but need some small improvements.
    My final version will be my entry for the woodworking competition in July of next year. I hope to take a home a ribbon.
    It looks simple but it takes wood turning wood sculpting and carving skills.
    The shelf is perfect for a iPad or tablet.
    Its 23 inch tall the top is 14.5 wide. The leaves inlayed are my version of beech leafs.
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

How do those leafs work? Did you carve them separately, and then glue them into recesses you chiseled into the table top?

The feature I like is the joint of shelf to legs. The carving is nice, I'd like green leaves. It's a piece that will be subtle
    and modern to some ,but too much like church nursery furniture to others. Leg taper is so subtle that some will not see it.
    I always enjoy seeing your work. Good luck to you!

Wow...the joinery is incredible.....almost seamless. Good luck at the show.
    Chris

Really nice, Andrew. Blue ribbon to my eyes.

Andrew, I agree with all of those that commented before me. The subtle, but clearly difficult to execute, transition between the legs and the shelf are sublime. The small carving is a very nice compliment to the simple table. If there was any one critique I'd have (completely personal preference) would be that I'd like to see the shelf an 1/8" to 1/4" thinner.

It is a very well-designed and executed piece; you are an exemplary craftsman.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Absolutely beautiful result! The inlay is awesome...it really appears more like you relieved the top rather than added the raised inlay!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks guys for the your input and comments. I pretty sure I’m going to make one more that’s even more refined for the competition in July.
    Thanks Again
    Aj

Very nice and elegant. I agree with the comment above that the legs could be tapered more. Thanks for sharing
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I like the subtle taper. You sense the light footstep without seeing a blatant cone shape. Nicely executed, I can see the excruciating amount of fitting that had to happen.

Thanks Johnny, that exactly what I am trying to convey. So this is the 4th version the first had too much taper too much splay. This one I turned the leg only 3/16 thicker at the top and use a spoke shave to remove the parting tool marks.
    The splay is 4 degrees the legs were also rift with the grain carefully oriented.
    They have a subtle bend in the leg due to the lines in the grain.
    I chose beech because it’s cheap. But also has a quite presence.
    Andrew
    Aj

Andrew your fit and finish is excellent. I also love the shelf mortice connection. The top seems a little odd, perhaps too thick, the rounded edge at odds with the shelf or not quite big enough, not really sure.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Andrew, a fine understated work of art.

Incredibly well done Sir! I will echo an earlier poster, I love the joinery! I also agree it has a light, elegant feel! Very well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....