Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LightBurn for Chinese lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Oh I did watch the video , I really don't see any big advantage in the camera. I get that you throw the drawing on to the laser bed and the camera takes a picture lightburn does the tracing and stuff then the laser cuts it. There might be a couple more steps with out the camera but is it really worth the extra expense ? well ok maybe to you but not to me LOL . I'll just scan it trace it in corel and transfer it to laser and cut it. Might take me a few mins longer. I suppose if your in business and time is money then maybe the added expense of the camera system might be worth it.
    You're focusing more on the tracing part of the video, which in reality is a novelty thing. What it's more useful for is aligning output to your substrate. Granted, the video does focus a bit more on the trace he did, but that's not really the primary reason for the camera. That's the primary use for the camera in the new Epilog Fusion Pro and Fusion Edge machines as well. The ability to place your output exactly where you want it on whatever weird shaped substrate and have it come out exact.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    You're focusing more on the tracing part of the video, which in reality is a novelty thing. What it's more useful for is aligning output to your substrate. Granted, the video does focus a bit more on the trace he did, but that's not really the primary reason for the camera. That's the primary use for the camera in the new Epilog Fusion Pro and Fusion Edge machines as well. The ability to place your output exactly where you want it on whatever weird shaped substrate and have it come out exact.

What am I missing ? I just place my red dot where I want it to start and hit go, can't get much eassier then that.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Agreed, it is a novelty thing. I put my substrate all over my 36x54 inch bed and using my two linear red dots it is where I want it. Camera wouldn't be nearly as accurate on large bed. Same as the English Premier League spending 5 minutes seeing if someone is offsides with a picture that has all sorts of issues with distortion from angles.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    What am I missing ? I just place my red dot where I want it to start and hit go, can't get much eassier then that.

Let's say you have a oddly shaped piece of wood that someone wants curved text engraved along a a curve. Not saying it can't be done by your method, but being able to overlay your job on the picture and place the letters exactly where you want them on the piece, hit start and have it be perfect.

To be honest, I don't have a camera on my LightBurn lasers either. I can see the benefit, but due to the layout of my shop, and the fact that they don't support IP Cameras at this time, it's just not feasible for me. If they ever support IP Cameras easily, I'll put one in for those difficult jobs just to help get them done quicker, as I see the benefit from time to time, but certainly not for every day usage.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Yea, oddly shaped and thrown on the bed crooked. Dont matter. camera takes a pic and you place the text/logo to fit the piece and go.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s