Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LightBurn for Chinese lasers?

LightBurn for Chinese lasers?

I'm still using the standard RD works with corel & photograv.

Are there any major advantages using lightburn? Aside from I wish my version of rdworks would be in inches not metric.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

What version of RDworks do you have

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    I'm still using the standard RD works with corel & photograv.

Are there any major advantages using lightburn? Aside from I wish my version of rdworks would be in inches not metric.

Yes, there are a lot of advantages. The biggest being the fact that's it's being actively developed by a developer that listens to what features the community wants, actually fixes bugs, etc. There have been at least 10 new feature/bug fix releases this year alone to LightBurn. It's become quite the piece of software, and all that I use anymore. I can do a lot of things in it that I used to have to use Corel for. I rarely open CorelDraw anymore unless I need something special. From tracing graphics to auto welding script text, the list goes on and on. 30 day fully functional free trial, so it doesn't cost anything to check it out. Best money I ever spent for my lasers....
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

I'm sure lightburn is a great program, but like Trotec's 'Job Control', it would be totally useless to me. NOT because I consider them useless programs, but due to the nature of my work, and HOW I work... I have 19 machines, 5 are usually sitting idle most days but the other 14 are used regularly. To be efficient, I need as few graphics design programs as possible, which at this time are Corel, Gravostyle and Casmate. Any more software to learn and use would just eat up more time I don't have!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It is called LaserJet v5 w.05. It looks identical to rework

I asked a while back about Lightburn for my Rabbit they said it was available but maybe someday.

I just checked their website and don't see my controller listed.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 12-21-2019 at 2:32 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I asked a while back about Lightburn for my Rabbit they said it was available but maybe someday.

I just checked their website and don't see my controller listed.
    It's an issue being traced on their feature tracker, but at the moment only has 15 votes for it after almost two years. https://lightburn.fider.io/posts/110...-compatibility

There is a link in there to documentation for the swap from a Leetro controller to a Ruida, which may be your best and fastest option to get better software support on your laser.

Thanks guess I might have to look into that. I don't really have a problem with lasercut as I really only use it to make small changes after I import from corel but would like to dump the dongle .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I stumbled on a youtube video last night that showed a guy that added a camera to the lid of the laser and Lightburn using it. Once he calibrated it he could throw something on the bed and you just add what you want burned.

Interesting.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

I don't get what the camera does.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I don't get what the camera does.
    The camera, when all aligned and calibrated correctly allows you to see your bed, and place your substrate anywhere on the bed, and show a picture of that in LightBurn. You can then place your image in LightBurn over top of where you want it engraved so it's all aligned to engrave exactly where you want it.

Demo video from the developer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TaZUkvDbM

I may have to buy a Ruida RDC6445G. Looks like Aliexpress is going to have one for $250 and go with Lightburn.

Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

Well I don't know. I can do all that in corel except watch it on a monitor as it engraves. Not worth all th expense to me.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert watch the video, what he does with a sketch. If I am not wrong and it seems I have been a lot on here, it will also scan the image and automatically align for you.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Oh I did watch the video , I really don't see any big advantage in the camera. I get that you throw the drawing on to the laser bed and the camera takes a picture lightburn does the tracing and stuff then the laser cuts it. There might be a couple more steps with out the camera but is it really worth the extra expense ? well ok maybe to you but not to me LOL . I'll just scan it trace it in corel and transfer it to laser and cut it. Might take me a few mins longer. I suppose if your in business and time is money then maybe the added expense of the camera system might be worth it.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander