Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fractal wood burning, Lichtenberg figures

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Exactly. I was over the "turned resin with some kind of wood in it" after the second one I saw. Same with slabs containing a massive stream or puddle of resin.
    I have always thought the resin spheres with a burl base and some whatever are kind of neet and at least they will likely be stable for eternity. The stream/puddle of resin tables are already beginning to rear their ugly head and my guess is there will either be a lot of them in the dump, a lot of shops (if they are still in business) getting sued, or a lot of people scouring to sue a shop that's closed the doors, locked the blinds, and cut all communication.

The resin thing is a ticking time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The stream/puddle of resin tables are already beginning to rear their ugly head and my guess is there will either be a lot of them in the dump, a lot of shops (if they are still in business) getting sued, or a lot of people scouring to sue a shop that's closed the doors, locked the blinds, and cut all communication.

The resin thing is a ticking time bomb.
    I get that the slabby tables are a passing style. But Im not following you about the potential for lawsuits. Are the resin tables unsafe for some reason? What issue will cause lawsuits? I'm sorry to have to ask, but I havent heard.

Thank you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I get that the slabby tables are a passing style. But Im not following you about the potential for lawsuits. Are the resin tables unsafe for some reason? What issue will cause lawsuits? I'm sorry to have to ask, but I havent heard.

Thank you.
    Fred
    I.e. someone who paid several thousand or tens of thousands of dollars for one that delaminates, clouds, goes haywire, due to any number of things from encapsulating air dried slabs, and all the other differential wood movement issues that are covered consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I.e. someone who paid several thousand or tens of thousands of dollars for one that delaminates, clouds, goes haywire, due to any number of things from encapsulating air dried slabs, and all the other differential wood movement issues that are covered consistently.
    Thanks Mark!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

https://www.theonion.com/pg-e-makes-...mpression=true
    And some folks think fractal woodburning is dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    https://www.theonion.com/pg-e-makes-...mpression=true
    And some folks think fractal woodburning is dangerous!
    This needs a disclaimer. The boomer crowd tends not to recognize satire.

I have turned some plates for an acquaintance that does it. He built a cabinet to do it in that has a vent fan. If the door is open the juice is off. there are remote arms made of some heavy stiff rubber to hold the electrodes. The wood is placed inside and held down with some kind of rubber clips. The wood is moistened and then the door closed. There is a foot peddle control as well as the safety switch on the door. An electrician helped him built it. I understand, they used a neon light transformer. supposed to be a safer voltage. I have been present when people did it. I stayed on the other side of the room to watch. The buzzing and burning sounded like the sound track for the movie: Young Frankenstein. I was tempted to contact the electrician to build a cabinet like they did, but figured I have more than enough crap going on.

It is dangerous, but so is all electricity if you are stupid. Some folks think they are smart, but are not. Jury rigging some easy to find components isn't necessarily the best way to do things. I like the idea of redundant safety precautions. and proper non conductive materials, instead of a couple wire nuts and some cords at the kitchen table. (The first demonstration I watched in person, was just wire nuts and stuff laying loose on a plastic table. )

I wrote below. An acquaintance and his electrician buddy built a fan ventilated cabinet with a safety switch on the door. If the door is open the electricity is off. The cabinet had hard rubber handles holding the electrodes which were placed from outside. With the door closed, there was still a foot peddle to operate the machine. There was really no way to reach the electrodes or work without opening the door, which instantly turned off the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    I wrote below. An acquaintance and his electrician buddy built a fan ventilated cabinet with a safety switch on the door. If the door is open the electricity is off. The cabinet had hard rubber handles holding the electrodes which were placed from outside. With the door closed, there was still a foot peddle to operate the machine. There was really no way to reach the electrodes or work without opening the door, which instantly turned off the juice.
    That is a much safer way to go except maybe you don't get the best view. I was thinking along this line except to add a camera inside the enclosure that could be positioned to allow a very good, very remote view of things.