Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fractal wood burning, Lichtenberg figures

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    At least part of the reason fads fade away is, people working the fad expect other people think it's really cool and pay for an example... I remember at the fair one year, some guy was making some of the most stunning spray-paint art I've ever seen. He always had a big crowd of people watching him make a painting. When he was done, everyone was 'wow, that was really cool!!' -- but I never saw a single person buy one of his paintings. He would've been better off charging people to watch...
    Agreed. I watched a guy doing that & he did sell some, but couldn't have been making more than a couple of bucks an hour. The process was very impressive to watch, but the end result, as art, was really lacking. A case of the whole being less than a sum of its parts.

I think it's the same as with epoxy river tables & fractal burning. Like wow, look what we can do here. But after the new wears off it just ain't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The point that is missed here (though the OP may just want to play around) is that this is yet another fad that has run its course and coming in on the tail end is likely a waste of time. Being inquisitive is great (as long as it doesnt get you killed). Playing around with it for your own enjoyment is one thing but many events, juried shows, have banned the process.

Its mind blowing in these days how fast these fad's run their course and are dead. We'll soon be reading endless posts about failed epoxy river tables, the fractal burning lasted months at best. Gah..
    I just found out about this `fad` and I couldn't care less about whether some juried shows or events have `banned` the process. I do woodworking and other things for my enjoyment, not for some sort of ribbon. Its funny that some folks bring points like these up rather than attempting to make a positive contribution. Thank you for your opinion.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-12-2019 at 6:48 PM. Reason: fixed mangled quote

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I just found out about this `fad` and I couldn't care less about whether some juried shows or events have `banned` the process. I do woodworking and other things for my enjoyment, not for some sort of ribbon. Its funny that some folks bring points like these up rather than attempting to make a positive contribution. Thank you for your opinion.
    I think the point of the banning is to show how much the danger of the process is being almost universally recognized.

Pat,
    The point I was pointing at was covered in the statement that followed. Its no shock your not interested in some ribbon, neither am I. But for a group of organizations to have made such swift decisions speaks volumes about the practice, how long it will be current, and more to the point whether anyone should be keeping it current in the first place.

We are on a forum than bans/deletes posts with a mere phrase that even in the most remote way allude to foul language, sexual references, and so on because some young kid "may see over the shoulder of their parent" or stumble across it inadvertently.

Thats the point of the ban's from events on the practice and to bring that to bear IS contributing positively. Some teenger scouring youtube on the internet who is taking stuff apart in their garage and has a half dozen dead microwaves.... bzzzzt... carbon popsicle. Thats far worse than them ever reading some innuendo of foul language but the mods have their conveniences.

Ive had lord knows how many posts plopped here for the most ludicrous of reasons that would never equate to a post that would get a grown individual or a young kid trying to replicate something they saw on the internet killed deader than a hammer.

Scour the net. You will find idiots who think if they are wearing rubber boots they are safe fractal burning. In my heart of hearts I believe those individuals are fine to be culled. But as has been stated here there are a lot of young, (and even old) very inexperienced people on the net.

Blog Entries
    We are on a forum than bans/deletes posts with a mere phrase that even in the most remote way allude to foul language, sexual references, and so on because some young kid "may see over the shoulder of their parent" or stumble across it inadvertently.

Thats the point of the ban's from events on the practice and to bring that to bear IS contributing positively. Some teenger scouring youtube on the internet who is taking stuff apart in their garage and has a half dozen dead microwaves.... bzzzzt... carbon popsicle. Thats far worse than them ever reading some innuendo of foul language but the mods have their conveniences.

Ive had lord knows how many posts plopped here for the most ludicrous of reasons that would never equate to a post that would get a grown individual or a young kid trying to replicate something they saw on the internet killed deader than a hammer.

Scour the net. You will find idiots who think if they are wearing rubber boots they are safe fractal burning. In my heart of hearts I believe those individuals are fine to be culled. But as has been stated here there are a lot of young, (and even old) very inexperienced people on the net.
    Mark, glad you had the little rant about forum nuttiness, and agree with your sentiments. We'll probably both get banned now

Just hit a local TV station's website to look for a used wheelchair for my FIL in their classifieds, and this was front & center. I'd never heard of this until this thread, now on the local news. Link to full story: https://www.ksl.com/article/46693681...e-wood-burning
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

From the story:
    “They were checking me over and he said yeah we actually see a lot of these accidents,” Timothy said of his doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    From the story:

“They were checking me over and he said yeah we actually see a lot of these accidents,” Timothy said of his doctor.
    It wasn't clear to me if by "these accidents" the doctor was referring specifically to incidents from fractal burning or was he including accidents from high energy electrical burns from other sources. If someone is shocked and burned to a less serious extent I wouldn't be surprised if the story wouldn't get spread like this one. It would be interesting to get a better idea of the extent of incidents and the risk. Anyone reading know of a fractal burning incident to share, perhaps one that didn't lead to a near-death experience?

I remember some years ago a couple of people sent me pictures by email of their fractal work. Come to think of it, I haven't heard from one guy for a long time...

JKJ

Thanks for the news story. What got me was his statement
    “I thought it was completely safe”
    Thankfully his son checked on him and they knew enough to basic CPR.

What got me was the jumper cables. Like I said, I have no problem with the cull factor. Bad things happen to good people, and bad things happen to stupid people. But watching that pretty much sum's up why things become illegal. Sad.. but it is what it is. Hopefully he had gold level insurance.

Blog Entries
    What really breaks my heart is how often the casualties of this technique have a spouse & small children that they leave behind.

What got me was the jumper cables. Like I said, I have no problem with the cull factor. Bad things happen to good people, and bad things happen to stupid people. But watching that pretty much sum's up why things become illegal. Sad.. but it is what it is. Hopefully he had gold level insurance.
    Illegal? Cull factor? Wow, different points of view that's for sure.

You asked for and received responses. It's a free country, go for it!

Illegal? Cull factor? Wow, different points of view that's for sure.
    Well, its kinda the two positions most commonly taken. No regs/rules/laws (which I like) but means you have to be willing to accept the cull. The ill informed, not-so-bright, and innocent, will just pay the piper. Then the other side of the coin is seatbelts, airbags, bike helmets, crumple zones. If enough people were turned into carbon it would never be the no regs option not that there is any way to criminalize the practice.

Thankfully the fad didnt take hold like many of the others though Im sure its still widely going on.

Its mind blowing in these days how fast these fad's run their course and are dead. We'll soon be reading endless posts about failed epoxy river tables, the fractal burning lasted months at best. Gah..
    Exactly. I was over the "turned resin with some kind of wood in it" after the second one I saw. Same with slabs containing a massive stream or puddle of resin.