Thread: Cutting wood sheets - marks left by residue on table

Cutting wood sheets - marks left by residue on table

Hi. I am a newbie to laser cutting. We have a Trotec speedy 360 Flexx. I am cutting some simple wooden shapes from 3mm bamboo sheets. These are leaving a dirty residue on the aluminium grid table, meaning the backs of the cut shapes have dirty marks on each time.

I have tried raising the wooden sheets up by 3mm using some offcuts which does improve things a little, butwhen the pieces drop down they are still getting marks on them from the bed.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution?

Thank you.

I am guessing that you are seeing "bounceback" from the grid. That is normal and a common problem. My solution has been to use an acrylic grid--be sure it's acrylic--instead of the aluminum grid. If you shop around you can find acrylic light diffusers at lighting wholesalers. I elevate mine off the table by about an inch.

The acrylic absorbs the beam instead of reflecting it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I am guessing that you are seeing "bounceback" from the grid. That is normal and a common problem. My solution has been to use an acrylic grid--be sure it's acrylic--instead of the aluminum grid. If you shop around you can find acrylic light diffusers at lighting wholesalers. I elevate mine off the table by about an inch.

The acrylic absorbs the beam instead of reflecting it.
    Make sure it is acrylic and not styrene

Thanks for the reply. I tried making a new table using acrylic slats, however when the laser cut any areas of wood that were resting on the acrylic, I got burn marks on the wood. Also, using this method there is no way for me to tape down any warped sheets to flatten them down as I can do with the grid table.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Clean if you need to. Simple green will get rid of it. Have you tried something as simple as a sheet of paper laid on the table? would keep any residue off of the back and is cheap enough to toss regularly.
    Magnets work well to hold down also. I've got a ton of little to large hanging around on my machines.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Another reason to have a Track Saw.

Before cutting, apply transfer tape to the back of the sheets. It will take a few seconds to peel them off after but no more dirty marks.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green