Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue for structural Beams

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    You obviously got some engineering done on this. Ask about using a flitch plate with construction lumber. And as was said, must be a hell of a load over only 12'......
    This would be my route as well especially if you want to limit deflection. Sometimes the plate can actually save you a couple bucks over special order micro-lams to boot

PL premium and GRK lags. Why complicate things?

In answer to your original question, resourcinal was/is used for laminating wooden aircraft parts, and is an excellent adhesive.

We build houses and in our area no glue is needed. its nailed together to put up and then bolts. GRK lags are good.

Casein glue was used eons ago for glulams, but they changed to resourcinal for durabilty reasons. I have used this version https://www.amazon.ca/Aerodux-Resorc.../dp/B00DP5VQD2 , but if you read the MSDS sheet you might not be comfortable with it. Keep in mind the clamping used in glulam production if you are inclined to build it according to standards for beams ( https://edmontonjournal.com/business...gth-and-beauty). That is difficult to replicate in our shops. Sure, I know most of use have built endless things with far less clamp force, but those items were furniture pieces where nothing of significance falls down if they fail. Epoxy requires far less pressure and that is what I would use if I were going to do this.

I would go buy an LVL, PSL, timberstrand, or glulam and move on with life. At a 12'-0" span you should be able to justify a built up dimensional lumber beam. Any decent sized supplier has the software tools to size a beam for you.

6. I built a 20" truss for my sawmill shed roof to allow long log handling. It's under the roof but exposed to moisture in the air outside. After my research into adhesives resorcinol was it for weatherproof issue. Sold in box stores. In an interior location you have other choices?

I once called Titebond about that warning on label. Tech guy said it was just a liability thing against stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    There are guidelines for bolting them together, but Resourcinal resin or structural epoxy would be two adhesives that come to mind.

Edit: It sounds like you may be making the beams, not laminating manufactured beams?
    Yep! Joe just beat me to the post.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

All of the manufacturers I've viewed literature from, so far, are saying to use nails spaced at certain distances apart. But I would feel better about it if I also used a structural glue. I have used both West Systems epoxy and resorcinol many times for making outdoor signs from redwood and cedar. Of all the glues I've tried they are the best; especially the epoxy. I have done my research on the load capacity for the beams but will do some more; because I may be able to use slightly longer ones. I ended up purchasing some 14' LVL's from this place. http://www.wholesalewoodonline.com/ They are to be delivered next Tuesday.
    Mezzanine.jpg
    Wayne Webb
    Webb Signworks
    Chipley, FL

Aspire 9.5
    Sign Wizard 6.0
    CorelDraw 2018 Suite
    DevFoam Pro
    Mach3
    Shopbot Router 4x8
    Ioline 24'' Plotter
    Mimaki 51'' Plotter