Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

This is a "working" forum so how about the rolls razor or similar that have a lifetime blade and a built in sharpening stone device in the case. Then we can discuss how many strokes to sharpen it , what grit etc.
    Does Festool make an electric shaver?
    Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-10-2019 at 4:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I don't know of any elec razor that can shave a 3 day beard off clean. I've tried the Brauns foil and the Nerelco tri head they work ok if you shave daily but not on a 3 day growth
    For me I can shave off a 2-3 day beard with the Braun foil shaver, if it's longer I have to use the trimmer attachment to knock off most of the length and then shave as normal. I guess everyone's beard is different in how it reacts, probably. I shave mostly every day in the summer, sometimes only once a week in winter.
    Zach

... dbl blade razors don't do the job they get clogged up pretty quick and hard to rinse them out. So whats a good solution ? ..
    Take an old toothbrush and brush out the blades. Brush away from the sharp edges - you don't want to shave the toothbrush. Sometimes poking with the bristles from the back helps.

Blog Entries
    An electric razor won't handle this:

Pre-Spring Shave.jpg

This takes an electric hair cutter or scissors. Those can then be followed by either my straight razor or a disposable Schick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use a Braun Series 9 foil shaver now. I've used Norelco and Panasonic in the past, and other models of the Braun, but the series 9 gives me the best shave I've ever had. I can shave a 3 day growth of beard with it, but it will pull and hurt, so I try not to go more than a day or two without shaving. It can be used wet or dry and both produce a good shave.

I used blades for the first year I shaved (at 13) and then got a Norelco for Christmas. I've never gone back to blades.

I have the best luck shaving in the shower with a suction cup shaving mirror. I use BIC Flex 4 disposable razors and either Creamo or King of Shaves. Creamo is a little more traditional in that it lathers very slightly. King of shaves is a gel that is as slick as snot on a doorknob. It's like rubbing KY on your face. Both yield a very close shave with no bleeding or razor rash. I tried an electric shaver once. I think I damaged it. I know I damaged my face.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    This is a "working" forum so how about the rolls razor or similar that have a lifetime blade and a built in sharpening stone device in the case. Then we can discuss how many strokes to sharpen it , what grit etc.
    Does Festool make an electric shaver?
    Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor
    But then they would have to start that sharpening forum everyone's so scared off LOL LOL LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I knew this would get a lot of response do this do that yikes what do I do. I now have a 6 day growth so maybe I'll just let it go. I do have to shave the neck tho it itches LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I started shaving in the shower back @1980. My neck used to get a lot of nicks and razor burn prior to the move into the shower. I dont use a mirror, just shave and use a gillette Mach (something) with four or five blades. Even with every day shaving, the razor blades easily last a month. I think it is actually easier on face skin if on a very rare occasion i dont shave a day. the beard gets softer.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Picked up a good old school safety razor a couple years back.
    Forgot how well they worked & how close they shaved.

Picked up another "clamshell" or "butterfly" type about 6 months ago.
    Works even better & is easier to replace the blade.

I have a fairly light beard & can go a couple days in between - the white hair my beard is now doesn't show all that much so I can get away with that.
    Good thing too since the Symbicort inhaler I use has the side effect of making my skin extremely sensitive & I cut/bruise very easily.
    The doc says it can't be the Symbicort - but - other than eating more vegetables the last couple years,,,,,,that's the only thing different.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I use the Gillette Mach 5 (the ones that have the oscillation feature)--those blades last a month easy, and have no problems on skipping a day or two of heavy growth. They're also open-backed, so they rinse out easily (better when rinsed in a sinkful of water than under running water).

Back in my dorm days, to save time, I started shaving before showering, because I could do it while I stood in line. That took care of any nicks and cuts.

I only shave my neck from 10/1 to Easter. I'm still using the blade that was on the razor on 9/30, which was already about a month old.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    I knew this would get a lot of response do this do that yikes what do I do. I now have a 6 day growth so maybe I'll just let it go. I do have to shave the neck tho it itches LOL
    A new beard tends to start itching after about a week. It usually stops itching after a couple of weeks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I shave my entire head and neck every other day or so in the shower, no mirror. I use Harry's blades and razor and gel. Has not been any blood letting in years. Not even nicks. Beard and stach get trimmed weekly with a Wahl trimmer. For the beard trimming, SWMBO has banished me to the basement sink, or outside when its warm. I found that the mirror on my golf cart works great.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Bert, I prefer shaving with vintage razors and I have a particular fondness for GEM Micromatic razors. Either the open comb model or the ClogPruf model will whisk away a week long growth, The open combs date from the 1930's and the ClogPruf's from the 1940's with an interruption for the war. The most important suggestion is to use a tallow shaving soap and to keep the razor's cap flat to the face. Use GEM stainless coated blades. The Micromatic series is top notch and I happily shave without cuts or irritation and achieve very close clean shaves. The razors can be found on Ebay and with selective buying, I have a stable of vintage razors most under $20 for each razor and shipping.

Retirement is wonderful, I shave every Wednesday & Sunday whether I need it or not. And of course on special occasions that LOML points out to me.. I’ve used the Gillette Sensor for as long as I can remember and never saw any need for spending more money on the gadget razors.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney