Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Shaving

Well I use to shave everyday and get my blades from an online shave club. Over the last year or so since I don't get out as much I find I don't shave everyday sometimes I let it got for 2 or 3 days. Then I find my dbl blade razors don't do the job they get clogged up pretty quick and hard to rinse them out.
    So whats a good solution ? Will s safety do a better job on a 3 day old beard.? I think I'd slit my throat with a straight razor. What do you guys do?or use.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, I have the same problem and I use a Schick Quatro. Two or three years ago, I bought a good German made double-edge razor and German made stainless steel blades. I take a low dose aspirin daily at the recommendation of my personal doctor. I quit bleeding after a while from all the nicks I got. This double edged razor type is what I used in the late 60's when I was in the US Navy and could pass Captain's inspection without any blood. I went back to the Schick Quatro. I feel my beard has changed as I've aged. Thinking back I remember my father-in-law asking in his 60's what I used because he had the same problem. I think one's beard goes from peach fuzz to hard to cut as a natural progression. Like you I now shave every couple days.

Please report back if you find an economical solution. I gave up.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I only "shave" my neck. The rest gets trimmed with the same high quality clippers (Andis) I use for my hair with a #1 or #1.5 ceramic cutter for the task. It's been a very long time since I completely shaved my face...and a lot less issue with ingrown hairs as a result. My neck I shave "dry" after getting out of the shower. A "Quatro" type blade like Ken mentions lasts for a couple months no problem, even if I go three to four days before I remember to clean that part up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Haven't shaved for 30+ years, not going to start now. I still remember the pain.

Well Jim and Roger say quit shaving LOL thats real economical but not sure if I want to do that. Many moons ago I use to stop for the hunting season. then about 15 years ago I let it go for a year but got sick of the scraggly look. I'll see what else comes up here .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have a Braun foil shaver that works well for me. I have been using it for about 8 years and it still is working, though the trimmer part on the side stopped running this summer. With actual razor blades I got razor burn very easily, with the electric I can shave every day and never bleed but sometimes, especially in the winter, I let it go for a few days between. I very rarely go anywhere anyhow.
    Zach

Blog Entries
    +1 on the beard. I stopped shaving my senior year in college and never went back. My 36 year old daughter has never seen my full face. I keep the beard trimmed with a 1948 vintage Wahl clipper that my dad bought and a #3 guard. When I trim the beard, I take the guard off and trim the neck.

Bert, that's the thing...using a clipper, say once or twice a week and there is no "scraggly" because it keeps the growth even and neat looking, whether or not it's really short or longer by preference. I keep mine relatively short...1mm at trim and I don't let it get more than about 4mm long before attending to it. It beats the adverse effects of trying to stay "smooth" that I've suffered from since, well...the beginning. Like Roger, I do my neck, too, usually when I clip my hair. A 000 blade takes care of that. (My Andis clipper isn't the "adjustable" type...it uses discrete blades and I buy the ceramic versions exclusively)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-09-2019 at 4:47 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also only shave under my neck. Try the Skinguard razors. I forget the name brand. They are far different, and better than anything prior. That razor doesn't feel like it's doing anything, but does a suitable job in one pass.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Haven't shaved for 30+ years, not going to start now. I still remember the pain.
    Going on 45 years since I either shaved or had a haircut more complicated than reaching behind my head and lopping a couple inches off the ponytail. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Well I use to shave everyday and get my blades from an online shave club. Over the last year or so since I don't get out as much I find I don't shave everyday sometimes I let it got for 2 or 3 days. Then I find my dbl blade razors don't do the job they get clogged up pretty quick and hard to rinse them out.
    So whats a good solution ? Will s safety do a better job on a 3 day old beard.? I think I'd slit my throat with a straight razor. What do you guys do?or use.
    I use a small trim cliipper in places followed by an electric with three rotary blades.

I had a beard continuously for over 20 years. One day I shaved it off. My kids didn't know me. My co-workers said "Grow it back." My wife was upset since everyone said I looked 10 years younger - she didn't have a beard to shave off so she could look 10 years younger.

Ever few years I shave it again just for fun. For even more fun try this, guaranteed to get some comments:

shaving_IMG_0173.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Schick Xtreme 3 works well for me. Like you my beard is shaved every 2 to 3 days. The difference may be that my shaving has been done in the shower for a couple of decades, no need for a mirror. My shaving lather comes from a bar of Cetaphil Gentile Cleansing soap, others likely work fine.

Most other razors are rather uncomfortable on my skin.

Usually my beard grows in the winter and is trimmed by summer. This year a beard hasn't been started. If it gets colder, then maybe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I have a Braun foil shaver that works well for me. I have been using it for about 8 years and it still is working, though the trimmer part on the side stopped running this summer. With actual razor blades I got razor burn very easily, with the electric I can shave every day and never bleed but sometimes, especially in the winter, I let it go for a few days between. I very rarely go anywhere anyhow.
    Zach
    I don't know of any elec razor that can shave a 3 day beard off clean. I've tried the Brauns foil and the Nerelco tri head they work ok if you shave daily but not on a 3 day growth
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I don't know of any elec razor that can shave a 3 day beard off clean.
    When I let it go for a few days, I use a beard trimmer (small electric clippers with about a one inch cutting head) to bring things down to a manageable length and then go over it with a disposable or safety razor for the clean shave. I found keeping a neat beard or goatee to be as much work as shaving every day, so gave that up.

I don't have a very thick beard growth, but the hairs are thick and tough. I used a braun for years until they cheapened the blades to the point where they dulled quickly and were stupid expensive to replace. I now use a phillips tri head wet/dry electric razor and shave in the shower using Creamo shave cream. With a three day growth, I find I have to take one quick pass and then rinse the clippings out of the razor (which is easy since I'm in the shower), take a quick swipe with my hand to redistribute the shave cream, and then shave as normal. The creamo is good stuff; it lubricates your skin without softening the hairs to the point where they lay over, and you just use a tiny bit of it for each shave. It doesn't make a foam, it just acts as a lubricant for the skin.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--