Thread: Soundproof shed door material ideas

Blog Entries

Soundproof shed door material ideas

If you were going to use sheets of material, using GreenGlue soundproofing compound, what would you use? OBS, plywood, drywall?
    Weight would be a consideration, but each door will be 24" or slightly less.
    I plan a double door about 48", with the edges of whatever I decide to use, staggered slightly so one door closes over the other a bit.
    AND, I am open to any and all suggestions regarding both the doors and the door frame.

I think I am going to build a separate 3rd inner wall using 2x3s or 2x2s, leaving a small gap between the 2 sills, although I did put down a 2x6 sill for staggered studs.
    OSB and drywall are cheap and I think 2 sheets screwed together with GreenGlue would be a cost effective way to go.
    I'll add the 3rd wall providing that leaves the required floorspace for my CV1800.

I just could not pull it all together this past summer. Too much rain, too many accidents/injuries, and too much pain. Doors are something I can build indoors, after the sheets are sawn.

I would stick with the sheet rock, and forget OSB for that purpose. The sheet rock has a lot more mass than OSB. The
    green glue is too expensive to use for a non mfg. reccommend use.

Not really designed for noise reduction but I was always impressed by the shielding doors used where my father worked. Cast concrete slabs about 3 feet thick, ten feet wide. They dropped into the floor to open and raised up by magic to close the door opening. I bet that would reduce the sound a good bit. I know that when they went up it switched off almost all the lights inside so anyone inside would know to call and get out before the machine was turned on.
    You might ask around for a used bank vault door. They still have unused battleship armor plate around at the lab but it was not flat enough to form tight fits. I am sure they got it for free as war surplus. So they just use it for retaining walls. It is too big to be practical to cut up for scrap.
    Bil lD

PS: I expect they used heavy concrete to reduce the bulk.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-09-2019 at 12:29 AM.

The door to my dust collector closet is a piece of 3/4 good quality plywood with two 5/8 pieces of Sheetrock green glued to it on the inside facing the dust collector. Seemed to do a decent job quieting down my CV Max. I can still hear it but the tool i am using is way louder than it. Thanks

I thought in an earlier thread you were building a separate shed for the DC and planned to put the doors on the far side away from the house/shop and not worry much about the noise that came through the door. Has this changed?

When I built my DC closet inside the shop I put the doors on the far side where they open into another room that I didn't use when running the cyclone. I used prehung exterior double doors, steel with insulation inside, 5' wide, no added insulation. With the staggered stud 2x6 walls and insulated ceiling when I turn the thing on the loudest thing in the shop is the air rushing through the intakes. If worried about the sound bothering the neighbors and the birds, do you have room to build a small vestibule between the inner doors and some outer doors?

In the generator room in my shop, I have two layers of 5/8” drywall on the walls, separated by sill plate foam, and then a top layer of sound deadening board. Same thing on the doors.

Works extremely well.

Blog Entries
    Drywall sandwiched in OSB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8qwMqm3Ek Wow, over 14,000 views.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I thought in an earlier thread you were building a separate shed for the DC and planned to put the doors on the far side away from the house/shop and not worry much about the noise that came through the door. Has this changed?
    No, it hasn't changed, but the DC shed sits to the rear of the shop about 6' away, set back to the 5' required away from the property line.
    The doors will open to the north with the shed to the east of the shop.

Maybe you are going at this wrong. A good dust collector is not very noisy. The thing that makes a cheap fan loud is a small fan spinning fast. This also makes it a power hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Maybe you are going at this wrong. A good dust collector is not very noisy. The thing that makes a cheap fan loud is a small fan spinning fast. This also makes it a power hog.
    I thought he was planning to use a big cyclone. The one I have is in a sound-reduction closet because it is painfully deafening otherwise.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    John's right. I bought the same DC he has and I'm putting mine in a separate shed.
    It's a hard thing to explain, but when your hearing starts to go to, sooner or later you cannot tolerate constant noise. Just using an orbital sander outside for just a few minutes with good hearing protection, my hearing suffers for the rest of the day with the ringing in my ears becoming a roaring in my ears.
    If I'm going to continue woodworking I have to find a way to eliminate as much noise as I can.
    So, I am still working on a soundproof shed for the DC and air compressor. It's that or find another hobby.

Not sure if they will help with the ringing but I use Bose noise cancelling headphones. When paired with my phone I have my phone and Audiobooks in the shop. Wife has to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention, that's a bit startling.

Blog Entries
    To the best of my knowledge, there is as yet no cure for tinitus. I believe the ringing is in the mind, not the ears.
    I do wear noise canceling headphones when working with wood, but not the quality that Bose provides. And I've found that they activate and deactivate, depending on the level of noise. Again, Bose would probably not behave that way.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 12-17-2019 at 5:15 PM.