Thread: Question for anyone who has turned a classical rolling pin

Question for anyone who has turned a classical rolling pin

I have turned a 14" long rolling pin made from hard maple with a Celtic Knot inlay, to which I am adding 4" handles at each end. This will be used and not a decorative piece. I came to the "rolling" part and am in a quandary. I bought a 3/8" food grade ss rod for the pivot. I will epoxy about 3" in each handle. I plan on putting a nylon washer as a bushing between each handle and the roller.

My question involves mounting the rod. I bought sealed roller bearings. I had planned on insetting one flush on each end, and having the ss shaft roll inside of them. My concern is that these aren't very expensive, and so I question the viability of the "sealed" part. Should the seal give up, then flour would get into the bearing and gum up the works. With epoxied handles, this would be a death knell.

On the other hand, I could just put the ss rod through the roller and allow the roller to rotate directly on the rod. The question then is what size the hole for the 3/8" rod? 25/64? 7/16? 1/2"?. I want the roller to roll smoothly but not be sloppy. I also don't want a place for flour to settle and get gummed up.

Go with the bearings? If not, what size hole????

I made a similar maple rolling pin for my wife 15 or 20 years ago. I used sealed bearings of some type (too long ago to remember exactly), epoxied into bored recesses at each end. They are still going strong with no evidence of "stuff" getting into them. They roll like they are new. Now I did caution my wife not to submerge the rolling pin or (gasp) put it in the dishwasher, so she just washes it by hand. I also used a nylon washer between the handles and the bearing, and left the rod a wee bit long, maybe 1/8", so there is a little free play. IIRC, I drilled the hole through the pin a fair amount oversize. I did not want it to rub or bind and it doesn't.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, thanks That is exactly as I wanted to build it.

This sounds like a great project. Hope you will share some pics of the build and finished product.

I will. It won't be done for a week though.

Rolling pins and handles

I asked my Lovely Bride (the best gourmet chef/cook/baker in the SouthEast USA, IMHO) if I should make a new rolling pin for her. She was rolling out dough for one of her signature cushaw pies at the time so I was inspired. She has been using the same conventional rolling pin for over 40 years but I noticed she never touched the handles - she said she gets more control and can feel the thickness of the dough better by rolling with both hands on the top of the cylinder rather than holding the handles. She said it's also easier on her hands and arms. She said others she talked to do the same thing - they never use the handles.

So yes, she would love a new rolling pin but a straight cylinder the same diameter as her existing rolling pin but a few inches longer and without handles. THAT will simplify things! I think I have just the piece of hard maple for it. Or maybe I'll make it from olive wood to compliment some other kitchen things I've made.

I guess my point is if a rolling pin is intended for a specific person you might inquire about how they work, or watch them in action if possible. If made to sell, never mind!

BTW, I've made a bunch of the "french style" rolling pins for gifts, one piece, cylindrical in the center with tapered ends for "handles", no handles that turn. She tried one but didn't like it as much as a simple straight cylinder.

JKJ

I have made French rolling pins in the past. This was a specific request for a traditional pin.

8. I have one that belonged to my Grandmother and probably around 125 years old. It still rolls nicely and has handles w/holes & uses inserted wood pins to hold it having a turned rounded head. I honestly wouldn't fret over SS pins or bearings? Revolving handles are cook friendly over one piece rolling pins.

I bake a *lot* of pies. My rolling pin has handles, but I've never understood why. They are not particularly in the way, but they are in no way useful to rolling out pie dough. It's not as though you could actually hold them while rolling out dough. I'd rather have a plain cylinder, perhaps with a bit of taper. The skinny French ones don't work as well either. Perhaps I really should turn myself an optimal roller.

I have made a few larger style (over 20" with handles) rolling pins that have been well received. I mainly use Purpleheart because of the uniqueness. Most of the ones I make are for 1/4 thickness (wife's request) for cookie dough. Thicker dough allows it to used for biscuits, etc. The rolling pin is all one piece so no bearings for the handles.
    Last edited by CHARLES D Richards; 12-13-2019 at 9:26 PM.

I like the one piece pins and use the handles. However, I rarely roll out cookie dough, or pie dough, I like Krushke and I think he is fine with the send off. And we just can't get decent pot pie noodles at the store, so we make our own.

When I made two for my granddaughters I glued a dowel in the pin, slid the handle over the dowel and turned a cap which is glued to the end of the dowel. The pin rotates on the handles. I did use nylon washers between the pin and handle and the cap and handle. Seems to have worked OK, the kids use them and like them.