Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disposal of oily rags!

I've always disposed of oily rags by putting them straight into a lidded 5 gallon container that is at least half filled with water, completely submerging them in water and closing the lid. I think that mitigates the risk pretty much immediately as opposed to hanging stuff out to dry and risking them blowing away or wadding up. Once the pail is close to full, then that mess gets tossed in the dumpster.

I've seen an oily stain rag pile begin to smoke and smolder in the driveway (outside) on a spring day of a new home job site. It definitely happens.
    Still waters run deep.

I'll mention that I just use old t-shirts that I've saved from the trash already, so I don't mind them being 'single use'.

Be safe out there!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    This came up a couple of years ago, so I called (I think it was Minwax) and they said if you simply throw them in water so they are totally wet, they are then safe to discard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I've always disposed of oily rags by putting them straight into a lidded 5 gallon container that is at least half filled with water, completely submerging them in water and closing the lid. I think that mitigates the risk pretty much immediately as opposed to hanging stuff out to dry and risking them blowing away or wadding up. Once the pail is close to full, then that mess gets tossed in the dumpster.
    Although I like the idea of putting the rags into water, my question would be, "What happens when the garbage truck compactor crushes the 5-gallon pail and all the water gets wrung out?" Then you've got a compacted mass of un-oxidized, oil-soaked rags again, in the middle of a truck full of trash (or buried in a landfill), and it's game on!

Personally, I hang oily rags over a fence, outdoors, until they're dry and stiff, then put them into the trash. (Or burn them.)

I lay the rags flat on the concrete floor until they dry.....Rod

If I use a poly-linseed oil mix at a client's place I now put all the rags and paper towels in an empty 1 gallon lacquer can and put the lid on tight until I get to my place and can spread the soaked materials out to dry.

On one occasion a few years back I put poly-linseed finish on a large piece at a client's place that was less than 15 minutes from mine. As I worked I had the used rags spread on his deck. At the end of the day I packed up everything and lastly stuffed all the used rags into an extra large soda cup, and drove away from there. By the time I got home the cab was heavy with a smokey smell, even with the windows open. I pulled the rags out and spread them - it was shocking to see them charred and at the point of flaming up after such a short period of time.