Thread: Help with Maxi Lathe

Help with Maxi Lathe

Good Morning All,

We recently acquired a General International Maxi-Lathe M25-100M1, and I'm having trouble changing the belt speed. It appears that the belt tension should be released by lifting up on the lever under the lathe bed. However, I've not been unable to move the lever either up or down (in or out). Perhaps there is an "unlock" feature which enables the tension release lever to move. Does anyone know this machine well enough to advise me on this? I'm thinking it must be something simple that I'm missing.

Please help!

Herb Flower
    HJF

Sorry, I haven't seen that lathe and could only find a manual on the 25-200 model. Like all other lathes I've seen and used with a multi-step pulley, the 200 manual shows a locking lever near the belt tension release lever. Could it be missing on yours? Could the lock be something like a bolt set screw that needs an allen wrench?

(Some cheap devices require turning the pulley and stretching the belt over the pulley lip to change to another step but I haven't seen a lathe like that.)

JKJ

I couldn't find much on that lathe either. Here is a short video but don't think it is much help.

Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Here's a review that says how to loosen the motor. https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/491

Crisis very simply resolved,

Managed to turn the lathe over...found a remarkable amount of wood dust/chips, oil, finish, etc. wedged between the motor housing and the lathe body. Once removed, the lever action was freed, and full function restored. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Happy New Year!

Herb
    HJF