Thread: bandsaw-budget of $900 - Rikon 10-324 owners?

bandsaw-budget of $900 - Rikon 10-324 owners?

I have a real need for a decent bandsaw with the budget of $900 or less. The requirements are resawing blanks up to 12" minimum, wired for 220v or the option to do so and reliability. A thorough CL search has been unsuccessful. However, the Rikon 10-324 keeps getting my attention. New ones can be found within my budget. One concern I have read in several places is that they have been shipped without a miter gauge? Any thoughts on this Rikon bandsaw? Thanks

SWS
    Last edited by Stark Suggs; 12-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.

I have the 10-325 which is the same saw with an enclosed cabinet. I love this saw. I have upgraded mine with the new guide bearing system. Love it. My goal one day is to have a larger shop with two band saws. I would not hesitate to buy another.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I think the griz 0513 anv is close to your price 17 inch saw plenty of motor

I too have a 10-325. It's a very good saw but I don't think I'd want to resaw 12" very often with it. That kind of work to me would call for something like a MM16 with 3+ h.p. and capable of running 1"+ blades. But then I have no experience with that size work so take this for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I too have a 10-325. It's a very good saw but I don't think I'd want to resaw 12" very often with it. That kind of work to me would call for something like a MM16 with 3+ h.p. and capable of running 1"+ blades. But then I have no experience with that size work so take this for what it's worth.
    I think Stark wants to cut up turning blanks, not resaw veneer. If so the 14" Rikon should be fine. I cut piles of green wood into 100s of turning blanks with an old 14" delta with a riser block, often using the full 12" vertical capacity. The Delta was a bit underpowered compared to what I use now but did cut often cut 12" banks and even resawed some 2x12s and never stalled. The trick was the right blade, sharp blade, and the right feed speed - these I learned with experience.

If the intent is quality resawing in the traditional sense, yes, a larger saw that can handle a wider blade might be a better choice, but probably outside the $900 budget.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I think the griz 0513 anv is close to your price 17 inch saw plenty of motor
    This is what I have and it's been a real winner (purchased it before I started turning).

I recently purchased the Grizzly G0513Anv saw and really like it. It was on sale when I got mine for $875 plus tax and shipping

Thanks everybody for the feedback. With some extra research and thinking it over, it looks like the Rikon 10-324 is the purchase Ill make. At one point the 10-325 was the bandsaw of choice. After finding out it is no longer in production, the search went elsewhere. This was a disappointment. Why in the world Rikon stopped making such a successful product is a mystery. Anyway, I hope everyone has a great week. Take care,

SWS

It may be that Rikon replaced the 325 with the 326 which is what I purchased a few months ago. This saw does an awesome job, I resaw 10-11" cherry often with no problem and I love the tool-less guide adjustments.

I have a 20" Powermatic model 81 you can have for $900 but I live in Iowa ( its a beast on bowl blanks)

Thanks Mike. Yep, Iowa and SC are not too close, but I certainly appreciate the offer. The 10-324 arrived today and Ive been unpacking etc... So far everything looks pretty good. The one thing that confuses me is the fact that a miter gauge does not come with the saw? This is not a big deal and one can be sourced somewhere. Have a good evening,

SWS

I would be thankful that a miter gauge didn't come with the saw. That saw is a budget saw (nothing wrong with that) so anything extra would raise the price up. That means Rikon would most likely put an inexpensive miter gauge with it to keep the over all price attractive for the $1000 budget people. I have several tools that came with cheap miter gauges and I can't remember using a single one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I would be thankful that a miter gauge didn't come with the saw. That saw is a budget saw (nothing wrong with that) so anything extra would raise the price up. That means Rikon would most likely put an inexpensive miter gauge with it to keep the over all price attractive for the $1000 budget people. I have several tools that came with cheap miter gauges and I can't remember using a single one of them.
    Exactly. I have some really crap miter gauges that were included with non-premium machines. Get a decent after market miter gauge or make sleds depending on your use.