Thread: trying to find info on saw motor

trying to find info on saw motor

i found this on marketplace, but the model number listed on motor relates to a craftsman 14in bandsaw. Ive been looking for a decent replacement for my newly acquired rockwell delta 14in. This motor rpm may be too much, but if it is a 1.5 hp, and i can get it cheap, I will use it for something else maybe. Weird how the model number on the motor relates to a saw???sears motor.jpg

The bandsaw manual states 1.5 HP (max developed) but no mention of RPM, just the blade speed in FPM. Pretty good chance that it's 1725 RPM, as that is common. The part no. of the motor itself is 3AD08401, but couldn't find any useful info using that no either; just links back to the bandsaw.

I have owned that same saw for nearly 50 years and on my 3rd motor. I buy them, most all, on ebay and higher HP is not an issue other than it may drive up the price. I look at the type of motor, rpm, if it's sealed (dust!!!) and service factor. There are in fact some motors better and usually more expensive, than others.
    Mine came with either a 3/4 I think, and has had two 1 hp since then. 1.5 is overkill for a 14" saw, other than if it was a freebie, I'd stay around 3/4 or 1 hp.
    Is the driven pulley original to that saw? If not that could affect the setup.
    You'll also want to get some cool blocks for the guides. I have had urethane tires on mine twice and honestly not certain they are really better from performance time. Sears has their own thing going with parts!

thanks guys, i think i will chance it

I don't think this is a 1.5HP motor. It says 120V and 10 amps which would be 1200VA. A HP is about 750 Watts before any efficiency considerations. Given that small motors are maybe 80% efficient, that would be 1000 watts. At the very best, this motor is just a bit over 1HP.

Maybe they're trying to rate this motor the way the shop vac (or router) people do - at the maximum HP before it stalls.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't think this is a 1.5HP motor. It says 120V and 10 amps which would be 1200VA. A HP is about 750 Watts before any efficiency considerations. Given that small motors are maybe 80% efficient, that would be 1000 watts. At the very best, this motor is just a bit over 1HP.

Maybe they're trying to rate this motor the way the shop vac (or router) people do - at the maximum HP before it stalls.

Mike
    Sears (Emerson) rated horse power contains lot of horse droppings. HP rating is with motor fully loaded, just as magic smoke appears.

I do believe that probably is a 1.5HP motor as Bruce mentioned it is exaggerated. I also think that a 1hp replacement would more than suffice for this saw, especially if you bought a motor that did not have an exaggerated rating.

I'm amazed there is no nameplate anywhere on that motor though. I assume you've looked all over to find this nameplate? To replace the motor is def difficult without the proper information with RPM being one of the most important rating to get right.

I have a Rockwell/Delta 14". Even 1hp is good.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night