Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt lunch box planner

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Snipe on the 735 is almost always traceable to one of two things, in my experience:

1. Not having adequate support to prevent board movement. This includes having the tables adjusted properly for short stock, and extended support for longer.

2. Backlash in the nuts on the posts that position the head. If there is any backlash there, the head can rock. You'll get leading edge snip if the back of the head settles on the posts, then rises when the leading edge of the board hits the back feed roller and pushes it up. You get trailing edge snipe if the front of the head falls after the board leaves the front feed roller.

If you have snipe, you can verify that it's #2 by wedging the head up tight against the backlash with plywood wedges along the edge of the table next to the posts.
    Interesting. I never saw mention of the wedge check before.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Snipe on the 735 is almost always traceable to one of two things, in my experience:

1. Not having adequate support to prevent board movement. This includes having the tables adjusted properly for short stock, and extended support for longer.

2. Backlash in the nuts on the posts that position the head. If there is any backlash there, the head can rock. You'll get leading edge snip if the back of the head settles on the posts, then rises when the leading edge of the board hits the back feed roller and pushes it up. You get trailing edge snipe if the front of the head falls after the board leaves the front feed roller.

If you have snipe, you can verify that it's #2 by wedging the head up tight against the backlash with plywood wedges along the edge of the table next to the posts.
    Interesting- I never knew about the backlash issue.

Mine makes no snipe on mid length boards. For long boards especially thick stock the overhanging weight kicks the board up into the cutter head when the end passes the inbound roller. I guess it compresses or flexes the outbound roller. Similar happens on the start of a pass. This starts to be a problem with 6/4 stock over 3 ft long, or 3/8" stock over 6 ft long. Just depends on the cantilever moment. I could set up extended support but my shop is small and doesn't need any more stuff. It's easy enough to lift by hand to carry the weight. A little practice and no more problems. Quicker than setting up temporary support too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Interesting- I never knew about the backlash issue.
    One would think that as long as you approach your head setting by lowering the head to where you want, the nuts would all four be pushing the head down and there would be no backla effect. And indeed, this is mostly true. But it's not absolutely true, unless all four posts are perfectly aligned for head lowering, and there is wear or backlash in the sprocket and roller chain that synchronizes the four posts.

Not a surprise, really. It's not like there are precision ball screws and scales in there on that kind of machine.

Blog Entries
    I think your planer is probably adjusted just fine. The problem with the board you showed is that it was too short. You should never run a piece through a planer that is shorter than the distance between the feed rollers. A piece being planed must be in full contact of at least one roller at all times, otherwise it is no longer being held down and it will get chewed up by the knives. You can seriously damage your cutter head by doing this.

The owners manual has a minimum safe length to be planed of 12"
    minimum.JPG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-14-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute