Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seek to rent or buy Robust AB casters

moving pianos

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    ....I collect pianos,...
    Wow, you must have a lot of extra room! I've had several pianos in my house at once but now I stick with one 7' Baldwin grand. Two people moved that by lifting in a case with handles (after removing the legs, of course), even up and down stairs.

The most challenging one I moved myself was a player. I had to move it from from Pennsylvania to Tennessee in a u-haul van, down a sidewalk with steps, and put it into the house through a picture window. I took out the movement and anything else that would come off first, tool out the picture window and built a wood frame for it to rest on, then six of us carried it down the hill and laid it on the frame to slide into the house. I rebuilt the entire mechanism, bellows, hammers, strings, felts - plays like new now!

Just curious, what kind of pianos to you collect? Photos?

I moved unloaded my PM 3520b myself - took it apart before loading into the trailer, slid the pieces it off the trailer onto furniture dollys, no problem with the the door sill, and reassembled the pieces inside the shop with the help of an automotive floor jack and blocking to lift the bed to fasten the legs.. I scooted the assembled lathe across the concrete floor to it's current resting place. It's supposed to weigh 680 lbs.

I watched several guys lift a Robust into the back of a van. Seems like Brett had to disconnect some wiring to take the headstock off to clear the door of the van. If your delivery truck can't bring it to the shop door maybe they could load it onto a trailer or pickup truck.

JKJ

So actually it's mechanical music machines more generally. I have a big Ampico/Knabe reproducing piano, a regular 88-note player, a piano-sized player reed organ, a Mills Violano Virtuoso (a combination violin and piano playing machine), several early wooden case juke boxes, and a variety of phonographs and music boxes. The biggest piece is a large fairground organ. The mods have told me I can't post a link to my web site, but if you google Diamond Jubilee carousel organ you will find it.

I think my plan will depend on whether the freight company can deliver to the top of my driveway and on the weather. If either are too dicey I'll go get it on my pickup truck and take it apart to get it off and in. That will save me the liftgate fee. I have excellent heavy movers who could do the whole job, but they charge $900 to just show up for the first hour. That would probably be the option my wife would encourage me to take ;-) They sent three really skilled guys with every imaginable piece of moving equipment on their truck, including a big crane. I guess I should see what they will charge to get it from the freight terminal and drop it where it needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I moved unloaded my PM 3520b myself - took it apart before loading into the trailer, slid the pieces it off the trailer onto furniture dollys, no problem with the the door sill, and reassembled the pieces inside the shop with the help of an automotive floor jack and blocking to lift the bed to fasten the legs.. I scooted the assembled lathe across the concrete floor to it's current resting place. It's supposed to weigh 680 lbs.

I watched several guys lift a Robust into the back of a van. Seems like Brett had to disconnect some wiring to take the headstock off to clear the door of the van. If your delivery truck can't bring it to the shop door maybe they could load it onto a trailer or pickup truck.

JKJ
    I also unloaded and built up my Stubby 750 alone...reducing weight by removing easily detached parts and so forth can sometimes work for that, but it depends upon how the specific machine was designed and built up. (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ghlight=Stubby)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...