Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seek to rent or buy Robust AB casters

seek to rent or buy Robust AB casters

My new lathe should be arriving in early January (yay!!). It looks like the caster set would be very useful to have to get it into place in my shop, but ~$400 for a single use seems pretty spendy. Does anyone have a set they'd like to sell or (better) rent out for a few weeks? I'd be happy to give you a deposit covering their full cost and pre-pay postage.

One I get this lathe into position in my shop I strongly expect moving it out will be someone else's problem.

I made a stand from 2x6 construction lumber that had a lower "shelf" high enough to clear my hydraulic car sack. HF has them for $80 (minus 20% with coupon). Once in the basement, I can easily move it around the shop. If you are on a single level, this might work for you.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks-- I don't want to keep it on wheels, this is just to get it moved into place, one time only. I have piano dollies and such, the casters just seemed like an easy and secure way to accomplish this without having to jury-rig something.

Roger, have you considered a set of 3-wheel moving castors and a small hydraulic jack? Save $300+
    Please help support the Creek.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    - Steven Wright

Blog Entries
    Most likely it will be palletized. The delivery person will likely have a pallet dolly to move it off of the truck. If you have things 'ready to go' you can likely get the delivery person to help you deliver it to where you want it.

A phone call may be able to clear this all up for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Most likely it will be palletized. The delivery person will likely have a pallet dolly to move it off of the truck. If you have things 'ready to go' you can likely get the delivery person to help you deliver it to where you want it.

A phone call may be able to clear this all up for you.

jtk

Or just $20 when the delivery driver shows up

Yes, it comes on a pallet. I'm on my own to get it off the pallet and into the shop, over a 6" door sill then up a 5-6" jog in the floor height. The casters looked as though they'd make it easy to roll up a ramp.

After I paid for "inside delivery" the last truck driver who showed up dropped my 1400 lb jointer/planer in my driveway in the face of an oncoming thunderstorm and drove away. He had neither the skills nor equipment (and certainly not the motivation) to help me get it over the 6" door sill and into my shop, no matter the inducement. (the pallet jack he had couldn't lift the pallet from the end, only the side-- he just stood there saying "it won't fit through the (6 ft wide) door") So I'm not holding my breath. Between piano dollies, a J-bar, and a floor jack I got it into the shop before the rains came by myself. ( I collect pianos, so have a fair range of equipment and experience-- in my volunteer job we routinely move steam engines and big metal working tools)

I've been warned that they may not be able to take it farther than the end of my driveway, 450 ft and a pretty steep hill away if they don't have a lift gate box truck available at the terminal at this end. So I'm preparing for the worst-- this time in ice and snow rather than lightning and rain. I may go get it from the terminal in my pickup rather than suffer the vagaries of the luck of the draw on a delivery guy if the choice is to drop it at the street.

Worst comes to worst I just take it apart and move it in piece by piece. I'm not worried that it will get done, just looking for opportunities to make my life easier-- I'm getting old!

How about about renting a truck with liftgate (Ryder or (X)) ?
    or contracting with 2 men and a truck or other local company.
    I had a 990 lb 15" wide belt sander moved from garage to basement thru the inside of house down interior stairway, and a drum sander brought up to garage, cost $300
    Pickup the lathe at the freight terminal using the money the freight company charges for residential delivery with liftgate services.
    Should come out money even.
    Also if you are interested a good friend of mine moves people nationwide, he said there are websites in major towns where you post what you need in the way of help in (x) people for (x) days/hours to load/unload his semi. Let me know if you are interested and I will ask him more about this for you
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 12-07-2019 at 7:22 PM. Reason: spelling

I modified a couple HF furniture movers to allow me to use a floor jack to move the AB into position in the shop.

Check out Don Geiger's videos on moving the AB. Brent has other videos/pictures of customers moving the lathe into shops on the Robust webpages. I recall one using a JD tractor with front-end loader.

If you can break loose the 2'X6" boards that the AB is mounted on from the pallet, you could add a couple of cross braces and casters and you'll have a rolling skid. If you can put spacers under the casters (and bolt/unbolt them) you should have no trouble jumping a 6" threshold with your piano equipment.

What's this thing weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    What's this thing weigh?
    Just under 700 lbs for the machine plus the weight of the pallet and packing for delivery weight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

OBTW, If it is a one time move only, buy 4 casters the kind with the single bolt mount. Jack up the lathe, slip the casters in the hole at the leg bottom, tighten a nut down on the top and roll that puppy anywhere. When you get it where you want it, floor jack up and remove the casters and set it down. Let the leveling begin.

Tractor with forks?

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Yes, it comes on a pallet. ...
    I've been warned that they may not be able to take it farther than the end of my driveway, 450 ft and a pretty steep hill away...
    Do you have a neighbor with a tractor or bobcat with forks? That would make easy work of getting it to the door, at least.

When I have something heavy delivered by truck I make a deal for the driver to pull off onto a wide flat spot on the main road down the hill nd meet him there with my tractor to unload the pallet from the back of the truck. The drivers love it, especially not having to negotiate the hills and curves to my farm.

JKJ

At 700 pounds, a qualified piano mover could handle this.

Borrow, or buy off of CL, a pallet jack. Have the driver drop it on the street, lift it with the pallet jack and tow it up the driveway with a tractor or your car. Long 2x12's should get it over the door sill and rise in the floor. Having a few friends/neighbors to help is also a good idea. If you plan any further such acquisitions, you might want to re-engineer your door (i.e., lengthen the door so you can get rid of that 6" high sill) and possibly level out the floor as well.