Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benchmarking hand plane performance, what are the correct methods?

Blog Entries
    Here is a post of mine on a method of achieving a result similar to cambering a blade:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158373

Beforehand a 2" wide blade on a #5 was used to take a full 2" shaving.

If my desire was to take a narrower shaving, it would make sense to me to use a plane with a narrower blade.

The 'camber effect' as shown in the link above can be done with a few swipes to either side of the blade on a fine stone. The stone used in the post is a translucent Arkansas stone.

My bench is also used to check my work. If a bunch of pieces are on edge on the bench it is very easy to see which, if any, are not square.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For camber I just use the camber roller instead of the straight one on the markII "training wheels". I didn't camber for these tests so that all conditions were the same. Going forward I'll probably camber the 3 and 5 planes.

Japanese plane irons have the corners knocked off, to this same effect. I attempt to emulate this on my plane irons by honing diagonal passes - the corners leave the edge of the stone, last.

I can't see the results on the blade, but proof is found planing.