Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How flat a scrub...

Because the "screwdriver" in question is only bent by 0.060" over 14 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Because the "screwdriver" in question is only bent by 0.060" over 14 inches?
    I'm not going to argue that people should not put defective tools to use. So go to town with that. :^) I'll be your cheerleader. Recycling is important.

And...just who said it WAS defective, anyway....Screwdriver???? Screwdriver??? Something screwy going on???

IF I recall correctly (spelling it out for you..) Stanley did not "mill" their No. 40 scrub planes....just Japanned them, and sent them out.

Of course...there are some out there, that think the world is flat....and even used feeler gauges to prove it.....on All Fools Day, of course....

Actually, for the record, I probably would have just dropped the plane in question on the stationary belt sander and taken out the milimeter and a half (assuming the base was thick enough) and used it as jack plane, but only if I had needed one.

As it is, I have two good jack planes and 4 more (long) awaiting restoration, so in my current situation, I probably would have used it as a parts plane (i.e. put it on the shelf with its 4 friends). But that is because I already have two good jack planes and two good Stanley #40, so I'm pretty covered in the rough flattening department. And for that matter, I only face joint by hand when a board isn't flat enough to go though the 15" Grizzly planer and won't fit on the 6" jointer. And that is just to knock of the high spots so it registers correctly on the planer bed.

I had children-of-the-Depression parents, so my upbringing is to try to repair and reuse everything. It takes a lot of effort to overcome that sometimes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Well, maybe it's easier to find a plane that you can convert to a scrub, that is not steeped in such perversity. (edited)
    To me a plane that isn't in decent shape for its original use is a likely prospect for use as a scrub plane. That is how one of my ebay lemons got used to make lemonade.

It still eludes me as to how a plane sole with a bit of twist being used as a scrub is going to make a twisted plank. My understanding is one usually works to a specific point or line with the scrub to dimension a piece before truing flat and square.

If your statement is correct and the twisting is repeatable, the plane could be used to make propellers. That is a special purpose plane someone might find quite useful for a specialized project.

It might be great for someone making whirly-gigs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Of course...there are some out there, that think the world is flat....and even used feeler gauges to prove it....
    Thanks for the set up Steven:

Not Flat Pin.jpg

They didn't use feeler gauges to check that one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

De averaging out the replies it sounds to me like I should be fine

As I don't have access to a belt sander I'll have a look t what I can do with the lage bastard file I have lying around. Maybe shave off that 1.5mm

Somehow looking at the wooden planes in second hand shops here in Germany I've never come across any cambered irons!

Bram

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And...just who said it WAS defective, anyway....Screwdriver???? Screwdriver??? Something screwy going on???

IF I recall correctly (spelling it out for you..) Stanley did not "mill" their No. 40 scrub planes....just Japanned them, and sent them out.

Of course...there are some out there, that think the world is flat....and even used feeler gauges to prove it.....on All Fools Day, of course....
    Why don't you just replace your buggered scrub plane with an adze? At least then you know what you're dealing with. :^)

BTW, you can actually do that.

Here's a nice example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoTBHactmLE
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 12-09-2019 at 7:37 PM.

Nah...I can use this strange contraption...
    DVD Door, WR 62 flattening.JPG
    About all it is good for, anyway....

According to this source, Stanley abandoned surface grinding the soles of their planes sometime after the 1950.s

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/antique-tool-faq.txt

(Sometime after the 1950's Stanley abandoned surface grinding the soles of
    their planes and just belt sanded them. I'm told Record still grinds theirs
    to .002).

What is used as a scrub..
    Scrub plane 5.JPG
    This is the one I use..
    Scrub plane mouth opening.JPG
    Large mouth opening..
    Scrub plane iron.JPG
    Cambered iron...I did check the sole a moment ago..
    Scrub plane flat sole.JPG
    Any straighter/flatter than this...
    Scrub plane in use.JPG
    Doesn't really matter all that much, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    According to this source, Stanley abandoned surface grinding the soles of their planes sometime after the 1950.s

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/antique-tool-faq.txt
    That explains some things.