Thread: EZ Sphere Question

EZ Sphere Question

I'm considering buying the chefwarekits EZ Sphere jig. I have a Grizzly G0766, which ideally requires an 8 3/4" post. The jig comes with an 8" post. I asked CWK if I could get a longer post. Their response was that the 8" would work. My question is, won't I have reduced diameter capacity with the 8" post on my lathe? I believe the jig does up to a 10" ball. Won't my limit be more like 9" or even a little less? Or will it be just fine since I"m only 5" above center on a 10" ball?

For those that have this jig, how much extra post do you have at maximum cutting diameter? And anyone using it on a G0766 (new banjo style)?

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I'm considering buying the chefwarekits EZ Sphere jig. I have a Grizzly G0766, which ideally requires an 8 3/4" post. The jig comes with an 8" post. I asked CWK if I could get a longer post. Their response was that the 8" would work. My question is, won't I have reduced diameter capacity with the 8" post on my lathe? I believe the jig does up to a 10" ball. Won't my limit be more like 9" or even a little less? Or will it be just fine since I"m only 5" above center on a 10" ball?

For those that have this jig, how much extra post do you have at maximum cutting diameter? And anyone using it on a G0766 (new banjo style)?
    I've never seen or used that sphere jig (I have the Vermec) I'm having trouble imagining how the post height would affect the maximum diameter of any sphere jig. Don't you need to have the cutter on center regardless of the diameter of the sphere?

Regardless, if you buy a jig (or tool rest, or anything) it is a simple matter to shorten or lengthen a post as needed. I've done both. If lacking the metal-working facilities, a machine or fab shop could do this and it shouldn't cost much.

JKJ

I looked at their website and I saw this as one of the tool post length options:

1in Dia x 8in Post (Powermatic, Robust A. Beauty, Grizzly G0766)

So, you shouldn't have a problem. This should allow you to get the pivot point on axis with the sphere you're turning.