Thread: Estate Sale Finds

Estate Sale Finds

20191207_120429.jpg20191207_120439.jpg
    20191207_120447.jpg20191207_120528.jpg
    Got the post drill for $85.00, the saw vice for $25.00, and the 2 sets for block& tackle for $17.50. Everything is in good shape the post drill will take some time to clean it up do to it being caked in dirt and it weighs about 80 lbs. I'm not sure how i am going to get it up on the wall to hang it the sucker is HEAVY!
    Have not found a name on the drill or the saw vice, but one of the block & tackle is a mighty mule. I need to turn a new handle for the drill, not sure what it should look like. I may copy the handle on my breast drill unless somebody has a pattern for the shape for a handle.

Sweet! Good for you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

the saw vise looks like a disston. jerry

Blog Entries
    Looks like you bought yourself a couple of fun projects.

The saw vise looks like my first one. The iron was a bit worn from use and needed a wooden wedge to hold tight.

When the time comes to hang the post drill, you might try an old trick shown to me. Cut the head off of a bolt or two and set them where the top bolts will hold the piece on the wall. Hang the drill on the two headless bolts and then install the lower bolts. Then replace the upper bolts one at a time.

Looking forward to see your progress reports.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very exciting! Looks like that post drill has some interesting modifications. Do you know what the extra fly wheel is for? I've also haven't seen one with that black collar that's just below where the feed goes through the body and out the top. Can't wait to see it after you've cleaned it up.

Good finds
    Jerry

Eric
    I thank someone added the fly wheel to It so it can be hand cranked or be belt driven, its kinda rigged up. I'm going to take the drill apart so i may not put the fly wheel on I'll see how it work and then decide.

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2971972]Looks like you bought yourself a couple of fun projects.
    When the time comes to hang the post drill, you might try an old trick shown to me. Cut the head off of a bolt or two and set them where the top bolts will hold the piece on the wall. Hang the drill on the two headless bolts and then install the lower bolts. Then replace the upper bolts one at a time.

That's a good idea,but i'm not sure i could pick the thing up to stick it on the bolts, I was thanking about mounting it to a 4x4 then tilt the 4x4 on to the wall and bolt the 4x4 to the studs, i could rig up a couple of ratchet straps to help hold the post. By the way any idea on how high to mount the drill? I'm 5'-8"

Blog Entries
    By the way any idea on how high to mount the drill? I'm 5'-8"
    Yours doesn't appear to have a table for the work to set on. My suggestion was going to be to have the table mounted at a comfortable height to work on. You also need the crank at a level you can comfortably turn it. You do not want the crank going higher than you can reach.

If you have to build a table for it, you will likely want to make it height adjustable.

Also if you disassemble it you may be able to mount the main part to a wall or post and then reassemble it in place.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-09-2019 at 1:09 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

drill presses.jpg
    A few years back, I had to pass on these two....didn't have to room....The one on the left used a motor. The one on the right was hooked up to a line shaft system.

Blog Entries
    The block and tackle in the right side of your photo as it displays is a fence stretcher. It works really well for that, but not much else....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Iforgeiron is a good website for information on post drills

I used a Stearns saw vise like that for probably 35 years before I found a larger one. It was my favorite one of that size, and worked fine.