Thread: Chisel Quality Check (Fulton)

Chisel Quality Check (Fulton)

I just picked up 3 Fulton socket chisels for cheap and was wondering if they are considered of quality or not.

I know Fulton was sold my Sears Roebuck and Co. in the early 1900's and came out with a higher quality version referred to as "Fulton Special"

If anyone is aware of the quality of the regular ones, seemingly produced in the later years of Fulton tools, it would be much appreciated!

Fulton Chisels.jpg

Blog Entries
    One of my 1/2" chisels is a Fulton and seems to be a good chisel.

The Fulton planes that have come my way have always seemed to be something to avoid.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Fulton was a brand name used by Sargent, as they made a line of tools for sale by Sear & Roebuck.....

I have picked up a Fulton or three through the years, couple were good to excellent, but one was not: I should have looked closer as that chisel had been plated!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Fulton was a brand name used by Sargent, as they made a line of tools for sale by Sear & Roebuck.....
    There may be some well made, good user Fulton planes. Too many like this one have crossed my path:

Fulton Plane.jpg

The stamped frog and depth adjuster screams CHEAP!!!

One caveat, my rehabbing of planes has been almost exclusive to Stanley/Bailey planes. A few Bedrock planes have been rehabbed and then sold. Unless a Millers Falls, Sargent, Ohio Tools or Union Tool plane really impresses me when found, it stays where it was found.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe the OP could clean the chisel up, and sharpen it up.....and let us know how it actually works.

Have had quite a few Fulton planes....and none had a pressed steel frog...Worth brand, on the other hand......Jim's plane looks more like someone had switched out the handles, to get a better sale price.

A Fulton 1/2" is my main dovetailing chisel. It is short with a short handle and narrow sides. No idea where I got it, probably was part of a lot on eBay. It seems to work just fine. I'd like to get a more 750 style 1/2" chisel as well, but I would keep the Fulton for dovetailing.