Thread: Bench Top (Seat) Overhang Distance

Bench Top (Seat) Overhang Distance

I am trying to figure out how much overhang I should leave on the sides and front of a bench that'll be in an entryway. I'd originally thought 3/4" but now having completed the base and placed some boards on top, the 3/4" looks anemic to me. I like the look of 1.5" overhang but wanted to check to see if there were any standards I should be adhering to or if personal preference is ok? I've included a Sketchup image for reference. The dimensions of the bench are 70"W x 18"H x 17"D. The bench top material is a 1.5" butcher block that will be cut to size. TIA for any guidance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's personal preference, but you want it in proportion to the piece. I agree with your leaning toward 1.5".

While you're experimenting, make sure a tall person won't whack his or her head on the upper unit when standing up quickly, or hit his/her head on the hooks when sitting full back (they look far enough up).

IIWM, I'd make the upper section wider than the back and lower sections, at least by the amount of overhang of the bench.

Blog Entries
    I agree that it is personal preference.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When you sit on the seat it is partly about swinging your legs back a bit without hitting something. People do have their heels back, especially when standing up. As your bench is low getting up is awkward if you can’t put your heels back. Experiment sitting and getting up, see where your heels are then move the top forwards to make getting up comfortable.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks folks, I ended up with a 1" overhang. Realizing that it is indeed a personal preference, once I was able to have all the pieces in the same place I assembled everything best I could and went with what looked the most visually appealing. Finished project pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (63.3 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (65.5 KB, 20 views)

The bench overhang looks good Dave. I am a little worried about the shelf over your head, with the bench 18” tall the bottom shelf seems to be at 63”. Lots of us might bang our heads on that.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks William! We played around with the shelf height a bit before mounting it. While my family are all about 5'7" or so, even at 6' I think people should be ok as the natural tendency for one going from sitting to standing is to move forward and away from the seat. Hopefully it works out and no one bumps it. I didn't want to go much higher which risked rendering the shelves somewhat useless and out of reach. I have a plan for moving it up if need be, hopefully it won't come to that!