Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domino for Doors

Dom, I personally wouldn't be concerned with using 14mm sipo Dominos for exterior doors in lieu of traditional tenons...which also depend upon the glue. "Loose tenons" are only loose in the sense that they use two mortises. If they are tightly aligned and properly glued, they are not going anywhere very easily. You can also pin/drawbore them if need be for additional assurance that something will not come apart. That said, one should use the techniques that they are most comfortable with for any given situation. For carriage doors like you describe, the much larger size and weight probably really is better served by massive traditional mortise and tenon joinery with drawbores simply because of scale. In that case, the Domino 700 can certainly help speed up the process as Jonny mentioned up above.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-06-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. You guys are probably right, but right or wrong, I will stick with traditional mortise and tenon for anything that I really need/want to stay together, particularly in exterior applications. Just a personal preference - not based on any experience with domino's failing. Although I have seen glue fail in exterior applications, eg. laminated legs (with both polyurethane and Titebond III) so now also only use solid stock for any outdoor piece. Although I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the specific timber species and the level of exposure as well as finish choice. The only certainty for me is that solid stock and traditional joinery won't fail - everything else is a risk (for me and in my experience), even if only a small one.

I also enjoy traditional joinery. My Domino 500 only really sees use for alignment and light-duty joints where I'm in a real hurry.

Cheers,

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    You guys are probably right, but right or wrong, I will stick with traditional mortise and tenon for anything that I really need/want to stay together, particularly in exterior applications. Just a personal preference - not based on any experience with domino's failing. Although I have seen glue fail in exterior applications, eg. laminated legs (with both polyurethane and Titebond III) so now also only use solid stock for any outdoor piece. Although I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the specific timber species and the level of exposure as well as finish choice. The only certainty for me is that solid stock and traditional joinery won't fail - everything else is a risk (for me and in my experience), even if only a small one.

I also enjoy traditional joinery. My Domino 500 only really sees use for alignment and light-duty joints where I'm in a real hurry.

Cheers,

Dom

Dom, with those big doors I am guessing they weighed a fair bit. Any idea how much per door? How many hinges did you use and what kind? I have never even thought about building something like that so would love to learn a bit on what it took.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Dom, with those big doors I am guessing they weighed a fair bit. Any idea how much per door? How many hinges did you use and what kind? I have never even thought about building something like that so would love to learn a bit on what it took.
    Hi John,

With glass they were approx. 100kg / 220 lb per door.

I used three 24" long, 1/4" thick, strap hinges on each panel. Got the alignment slightly out on one (sits 1/8" low where the doors meet) but will fix it one day soon. They work well and the doors swing smoothly. I later automated the doors with linear actuators which also work well.

20190811_191825.jpg

20190810_185759.jpg