Thread: Domino for Doors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Domino for Doors

I have read many posts about the Domino 700 and always thought it was a nice piece of engineering, but wasn't sure I could ever justify the cost of one. Now I am looking at building some custom doors, interior for the most part, and a fried suggested the 700 is perfect for making doors. These are a typical 80" x 24-36" doors. They will be a stile and rail construction with a floating interior panel.

Has anyone used it for that? I am guessing yes, so how did it work? Putting the largest dowels in, perhaps as many as 3 in each joint, does it hold up? Part of my brain says it will be fine and much easier than mortise and tenon, but another part says a mortise and tenon will be stronger and last longer.

Would love thoughts and suggestions. I need to make a decision in the next week so thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Mark Blatter; 12-05-2019 at 2:55 PM.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck