Thread: Recommendations for compact dust collector ...

Recommendations for compact dust collector ...

Are there any "good" and compact dust extraction systems out there?

My shop is about 375 sq feet so space is scarce. I currently have a 2 hp Harbor Freight unit with a Penn filter on top. This is connected to a garbage can with a cheap cyclone lid. This system takes up about 27 sq of floor space and it doesn't work that well even though it's only connected to two machines ( 17" bandsaw and 10" table saw) that are very close to each other and to the hose connected to the vortex lid on the garbage can. I'd like to replace it but I'd like to find a system that works and requires less space -- if such a beast exists. So far, I haven't found one.

I'd also consider replacing the vortex lid on the garbage can with something like an Oneida cyclone if it would improve performance significantly. I have two of the smaller Oneida Dust Deputies connected to shop vacs that I use for my chop saw, 6" jointer and 13" planer. Honestly, these don't work well for me either but I suspect I'm asking them to do too much, or in the case of the Hitachi chop saw, their integrated dust extraction system leaves a lot to be desired even when a hose is directly connected to their extraction port.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Scott,

I also have the 2hp HF unit. But mine is arranged vertically with the motor/blower on top, an Oneida Super Dust Deputy under it, and then a bin for sawdust below that. I made the bid to fit out of 5mm luan with softwood pieces in the corner, glued and screwed together. I put in a plexi piece so I can see the level of the dust. It sits in about a 18 inch square space in the corner of my shop. I exhaust outside. With a filter, it would take up a little more space but the filter would be high. I got my idea from youtubes. One is by a guy name Tyler.

A cyclone will better separate fine dust than a trash can lid. So the filter will need cleaning less frequently.

I modified the HF to a six inch inlet to fit the SDD and then heated the SDD inlet so it would fit over the inlet. I have a run of 5 inch metal snap lock to my table saw and I disconnect that to put on flex hose to the planner and jointer. I will do more metal runs, I already have most of the material, when time permits.

Jim

Thank you, Jim. I think I know the YouTuber you mentioned --- DIY Tyler?? I'll check out his videos for dust collection ideas. Thanks again.

Scott

Last edited by Dave Sabo; 12-12-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Felder RL-125? 10sqft footprint and ~1,000 CFM