There are vague memories rattling around in my brain about a time of having to get up to change the channel or volume on the TV.

Now there are remotes for almost everything. One for the TV, one for the DVD player, one for the Blue Ray player and one for the Satellite/Cable receiver. Trying to find the right one on the sofa under the mail or whatever was becoming a bit of a pain.

So why not make a box to hold them and other items to keep them separated. Candy (AKA SWMBO) didn't want dividers in the part of the box holding the remotes. My plan was to make one after the box was made without having to be included in the original build. Sure enough after the box was built she saw the reasoning behind having dividers. Sometimes she can not picture these things before they are built.

Lately my preference has been to make dovetails proud to the point of being a bit overly proud. With square ends they were a little bit uncomfortable if one's arm brushed against them. So a skew chisel was used to round over all the edges:

Skew Chisel on Proud Tail.jpg

This was built from a scrap of ash, a piece of holly and a remnant of some 1/4" plywood.

Another piece of 4/4 ash was used to make the dividers:

Work A-Round.jpg

The slot was cut in the bottom of the ash to fit the piece of maple at the bottom of the image. The top was rounded before ripping into the individual dividers. For marking an arc these shop made disks come in handy. Some are sized to match common lumber sizes for marking round ends or ogees.

It helps keep things in order on the sofa:

Sofa Organizer.jpg

Looks like the dividers need to be taken back to the shop to give them a coat of oil. At least my forgetter didn't forget to line up the pieces so the grain would wrap around the box.

jtk