Thread: Remote Possibilities

Blog Entries

Remote Possibilities

There are vague memories rattling around in my brain about a time of having to get up to change the channel or volume on the TV.

Now there are remotes for almost everything. One for the TV, one for the DVD player, one for the Blue Ray player and one for the Satellite/Cable receiver. Trying to find the right one on the sofa under the mail or whatever was becoming a bit of a pain.

So why not make a box to hold them and other items to keep them separated. Candy (AKA SWMBO) didn't want dividers in the part of the box holding the remotes. My plan was to make one after the box was made without having to be included in the original build. Sure enough after the box was built she saw the reasoning behind having dividers. Sometimes she can not picture these things before they are built.

Lately my preference has been to make dovetails proud to the point of being a bit overly proud. With square ends they were a little bit uncomfortable if one's arm brushed against them. So a skew chisel was used to round over all the edges:

Skew Chisel on Proud Tail.jpg

This was built from a scrap of ash, a piece of holly and a remnant of some 1/4" plywood.

Another piece of 4/4 ash was used to make the dividers:

Work A-Round.jpg

The slot was cut in the bottom of the ash to fit the piece of maple at the bottom of the image. The top was rounded before ripping into the individual dividers. For marking an arc these shop made disks come in handy. Some are sized to match common lumber sizes for marking round ends or ogees.

It helps keep things in order on the sofa:

Sofa Organizer.jpg

Looks like the dividers need to be taken back to the shop to give them a coat of oil. At least my forgetter didn't forget to line up the pieces so the grain would wrap around the box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Organization is a wonderful thing for those that like it. Then there are those that have embraced The Chaos Theory or so it seems. I have sufficient German blood in my veins to appreciate organization, perhaps tinted with a slight bit of OCD just to keep me true. Nice box for the task Jim.
    David

Jim you need a universal (programmable) remote

I love the idea of having commonly sized discs for radius.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Organization is a wonderful thing for those that like it. Then there are those that have embraced The Chaos Theory or so it seems. I have sufficient German blood in my veins to appreciate organization, perhaps tinted with a slight bit of OCD just to keep me true. Nice box for the task Jim.
    At least you don't have CDO. That is OCD with the letters in the right order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks David, My environment is a kind organized chaos. It may be inherited from my father. There is a method to the chaotic madness. It looks like an incoherent mess, but everything has its own place to be.

My mother was a bit neater in her organizational ways. She was of English heritage, my father's was German.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Jim you need a universal (programmable) remote

I love the idea of having commonly sized discs for radius.
    Have thought of a universial remote a few times, but have never really bothered to look into them.

The idea for disks of different radiuses comes from a couple of my old drafting templates. They have radius guides up to about an inch. One is metric and one is inch. They come in handy at times, especially for marking the end of a piece being made into molding.

jtk