Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrub planes

I, too, have the LN Scrub and it has been excellent for taking things down.

IMAG0168.jpg
    Small collection...
    IMAG0167.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    While re-purposed metal planes can function as a scrub plane a wood stock scrub like the one from ECE is a different animal. Its form has developed over centuries for the one job it does and it does that job very well, I think easier than any metal body scrub. It is cheap < $100 USD and will last decades, just take a look at Tom's photo of his, mine is about the same age and looks about the same I just don't have any photos of it.

BTW, I agree with Andrew, there are jobs for a scrub plane in any shop even one that is mostly power.

ken
    All three of my scrub planes, one #40 and two others set up as scrub planes, cost less than $65. All three of them have already lasted for decades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    One of the things about using a #5 for a scrub, instead of a #40.......the skinny #40 takes twice as much work as the #5 to scrub down a board....
    The skinny plane is narrower for sure, but you can take a significantly deeper cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    All three of my scrub planes, one #40 and two others set up as scrub planes, cost less than $65. All three of them have already lasted for decades.

jtk

Jim,

I have both the ECE and a, I think, #40, along with a heavy cambered open mouth #5. There is a Philly Plane Jack with a heavy camber as well in the mix. Of all of 'em when a scrub is needed the ECE is the one I reach for, it is light with wood on wood and the correct size and shape to work high areas down easily and quickly. Of course as with all things wood, YMMV.

ken