Good morning,
As the title states, this is my first post on this forum. I've been following it for some time and really enjoy reading all the help that is provided by the people that know whats going on.

Now, my problem. I live on a lake in Virginia. I have been asked to build 4 kayak racks holding 6 kayaks (3 on each side). I plan on using 6X6X8 pressure treated lumber for posts (about 2 1/2 to 3 feet in the ground).
Then I plan to half lap pressure treated 4X4 posts to use as the kayak support. Probably going to cut a gusset to help support the 4X4 to the 6X6.

My concern is shrinkage. If I cut the half lap (on the 6X6) 3 1/2 inches to accomodate the 4X4 and then cut the half lap (on the 4X4) 5 1/2 inches to fit the 6X6, I should have a pretty close fit...which of course, is what I want. "BUT", what I'm worried about is 3 or 6 months down the road when "everything" has shrunk. I would venture to say that I will be looking at 1/4 inch sloppy gaps at all my joints.

I have gone to 2 places to shop for the required lumber. Looked at "KDAT" (kiln dried after treatment) and I found it to be just as wet as regular PT lumber.

Sure would like any ideas, thoughts or suggestions.
Dick