Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering a router lift

Blog Entries
    I’ve had the incra mast-r- lift II for better than 10 years now, works great. I use it daily.

Imo the speed thing is a non issue.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Today I saw a Porter Cable 75182 router mounted in an Incra Mast-R-Lift II in my Rockler store. I noticed they had removed the variable speed slider knob and wondered why. Then I measured the knob on a free machine and the darn thing doesn’t clear the steel shafts! I ordered the Jessem (Rockler doesn’t carry Jessem’s brand because the Incra version makes a plate to fit Rockler’s table), but I assume the Incra version uses the same shaft dimensions and clearances. Has anyone run into this? I don’t want to remove the speed slider if I move up to the 75182. It’s probably not going to be a problem, because I’ll likely stay with my variable speed PC 690.
    I have a 75182 mounted in an Incra Mastr-R-Left 2. I just oriented the speed switch 90 degrees to the posts.

Brian,

I guess we can compensate for speed control with feed rate to some extent, as long as we avoid burning (with large diameter bits).

I thought the speed knob was set in the narrowest part of the router.

Don't think so. All I can say is that I have that router and that lift, and I didn't have to remove anything from the router to mount it. The switch is mounted 90 degrees from the posts.

Here's a picture of one mounted in an Incra Mast-R-Lift:

INCRA-Mast-R-Lift-II-3T.jpg

That's how mine is oriented. I don't know why Woodcraft would mount it so that the switch has to be removed.

Blog Entries
    Brian,

I guess we can compensate for speed control with feed rate to some extent, as long as we avoid burning (with large diameter bits).
    Pretty sure the OP was talking about speed to raise and lower. I do super quickly, so I can't imagine additional speediness being really high priority in that area.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian,

Larger bits require slower speed for safety above all...remember, the wider the cutter, the faster the "tip speed" will be relative to how fast the motor is revolving.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...