Thread: Table Saw Sled Question ....

Table Saw Sled Question ....

I'm searching for table saw sleds and there is SO MANY! I'm thinking something a bit different which I can't find other than one made commercially. The commercial one (the Incra Miter Express) is located at this LINK. This is basically a sled on one side of the blade that slides and another surface that is laid down on the opposite side of the blade that is fixed (to make an even surface). I like it for the reason that the two-piece system would be lighter, easier storage, and allow the fixed piece to become a "sacrificial" zero-clearance piece.

I've searched as much as I could to see if others have done this and can't find one example other than the Inca one I linked too! Makes me wonder why. This seems like a great idea but why has no one else copied it in a DIY fashion?

Would love to hear from others on their thoughts! TIA

Miter Sled.jpg
    Last edited by Frank Aaberg; 12-03-2019 at 8:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have a sled I made for the left side that I use quite often. I have a smaller sled that fits on the right side that is also tight to the blade. I use it occasionally when I am concerned that a small cut off might fall back against the blade. I also use the slide to the right when cutting repetitive small pieces that fit in a holder.
    IMG_0474.jpgIMG_0477.jpgIMG_0478.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-04-2019 at 8:44 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I believe Rockler makes one.

Personally I've never see an advantage in a commercial sled, but maybe I'm missing something. I will admit it is nice to have the miter gauge built in, if I were needing a miter gauge I'd probably go ahead and get the whole package.

I like my DIY sled it is no frills and large - 40X22. The blade slot is about 14" from the left side. When I need offcut support (not often) I use a piece of ply with a cleat to keep from sliding.

I think a replaceable ZCI throatplate is very desirable definitely a mod in the future me mine.

Blog Entries
    Your satisfaction with the Incra will relate directly to your needs. The Incra is about the size of my smallest sled. The "catch" board is very small but, would work great for the spoil from the ends of picture frames, small boxes and so forth. Anything longer than the catch board would not be well controlled after the cut due to the tipping point. None of this is a bad thing unless your off-cuts are of that size.

A sled with both sides of the blade moving allows for clamping of the keeper and the spoil. For small parts or less than perfectly milled stock, this can help with the quality of the cut. Replaceable ZCI's in a shop made sled assure a clean, zero-tearout cut every time. I use a sled to help me control large panels that require very accurate cuts. I have large and medium sized sleds for this.

a fence align.jpgsmall sled 2-1.jpg

As I said, for smaller work I have a sled about the size of the Incra but, it is still a dual-runner configuration.

2009-bev-sled-004.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think the best idea I ever saw for a crosscut sled was nicknamed the stealth bomber .[ Look it up on youtube] Could easily be reconfigured to a dual runner with a removeable zero clearance insert. And the docking station is a cool idea

Frank,

I think what you're looking for might be something like the 'Dubby' sled. There have been various commercial take-offs on it over the years, and DIY versions or plans in magazines, etc. over the years. Pretty sure a search on YT for 'Dubby table saw sled' will be of value.

HTH,

Monte

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Frank,

I think what you're looking for might be something like the 'Dubby' sled. There have been various commercial take-offs on it over the years, and DIY versions or plans in magazines, etc. over the years. Pretty sure a search on YT for 'Dubby table saw sled' will be of value.

HTH,

Monte
    I have one (Dubby) and it is okay, but my Kreg miter gauge is much more precise. I haven't used the Dubby in years and should probably get rid of it.
    IMG_0700.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-09-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have this from Rockler...bought it when making a number of picture frames. Works well. Reminds me that I need to pull it out for a few more frames....

9A97E721-1C21-4005-B026-A79F8D7975A9.jpeg