Thread: Saw - Shop Fox or Laguna

Saw - Shop Fox or Laguna

I know everyone likes these questions 🙃 I currently have a Ridgid 3650 which has served me well but i would like a newer, better saw with better safety features like a riving knife. I've narrowed my choices on a new saw to the Laguna Fusion 2 or Shop Fox W1851. They are a good price point, have good fences and i have seen good reviews on them. The Laguna had issues with dust control from one reviewer. Any input is appreciated.

Lots of people will think 2hp is enough.
    Think about ripping a 2" thick piece of hardwood at 45 degrees. You'll need at least 3hp to do the job.
    I'd think about moving up to a real 3hp cabinet saw.
    The Grizzly 1023 can't be beat for the price. There are thousands here who will agree.

I won't disagree that a more powerful motor would always be better just in case you need it. However, I have owned a 1 1/2 HP saw for many years and I can't think of the last time it didn't have enough power to crosscut or rip anything I've used it for. Unless you commonly rip a 2" thick piece of hardwood at 45 degrees, you probably won't need more than 2 HP. I have ripped a 2" thick piece of hardwood at 90 degrees and, while it did require that I push it through slowly, it was fine (using a good quality blade made for ripping). Power is a great thing when you need it but, if you don't it's just extra money. Sorry I don't have words of wisdom about either of the saws you mentioned. I just thought I'd let you know that, the justification for a more powerful saw would be that you need it for what you do on a regular basis. If you own a bandsaw, you can always rip on the bandsaw for those rare occasions you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I just thought I'd let you know that, the justification for a more powerful saw would be that you need it for what you do on a regular basis.
    Gotta disagree with you here Randy.
    I wouldn't want a saw I'd be swearing at 5% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I agree. I am from the "Go big or go home." camp. Finances allowing of course.

Come on guys! The original poster stated that he currently owns a Ridgid 3650. He is bound to know what it is like to use a low power table saw. I recently went from a Ridgid 3650 to a nearly new Grizzly 2 horsepower saw and I have been happy with its improved performance. I have been at this for over 40 years and have used countless table saws ranging from 1 to 7.5 horsepower. I would have bought a Grizzly G1023 of some flavor but I got my saw used at a ridiculously low price and couldn't pass it up. I had planned to sell it for a profit and buy another but liked it so much I decided to keep it.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I've never had any reason to be angry with my saw (except when I did something stupid and wanted to blame it on something other than me). As I said, if you're ripping 2" stock on a daily basis, even at 90 degrees, I'd agree with you without question. I ripped 8/4 walnut the other day with a 24 tooth rip blade and had no issues at all; saw didn't bog down or stall or force me to feed it at an unreasonably slow rate. For most of us woodworkers who work as a hobby or part-time, we just don't use that extra power. I guess, if you just want to shove stuff through the saw on a production basis and need the efficiency, sure you need a production saw.

For me, it's like comparing the Dewalt 735 planer to a Powermatic 15" 220V planer. No comparison true. However, unless you are running a lot of wood through and need it done ASAP, a Powermatic 15" is overkill, hard to get in many people's shops, and is beyond many woodworker's budgets. I'd hate for the OP to feel he has to spend more than he really needs to.

If the OP has been getting along with a Ridgid, anything would probably have more power, but certainly a saw with a 2 HP motor will give him much better performance unless he is always cutting the wood you suggest you personally need the saw for.

One thing I would say is that the OP should be sure whatever saw he buys the lead-in distance from the front of the table to the front end of the blade is sufficient to allow longer rips. If he needs to buy a larger saw for that reason, he should.

Each to his own . . . I've never had any reason to be dissatisfied with the power of my current saw.

Thank you for the replies. I cut up to 1 1/2” material but infrequently. I was hoping not to have to add 220 to my shop for a cabinet saw but it is something to think about. The 1023 would add a couple hundred extra over what ive been looking at plus the electrician cost combined may be a bit over the budget. Buying local was also a plus for me but you have given me more to think about.

The person from whom I purchased my Grizzly G0715P rewired it from 240VAC to 120VAC. I plan to convert it back but so far, I have operated it on a 120VAC, 20 amp circuit without a problem. You might be able to get away with doing it like I am but that isn't ideal.